Author Topic: Few questions about layout please  (Read 771 times)

PABOB

• Respect: 0
Few questions about layout please
« on: November 21, 2022, 07:38:44 PM »
Hi there everyone. I am new to this forum. And sort of new to model railroading. I am going to try to post a picture of a layout plan that I plan on making. It is a Kato plan which is lengthened. The Amherst.  It will be DC powered. I am using a dual cab older style controller. I  want to run 2 trains on it. One on inter  and one on the outer. It will be Kato track and #6 switches. With double crossover. My Questions are. Do I run two separate bus lines around the track for the inner track and the outer track? I think I know where to put the feeders at.  And then when I drop the feeders down for the inside spur tracks.  Do I tie them in on the inside bus line? And then for the outer most third track.  Do the feeders for that  get tied in to the outer second track?  I hope I am explaining this correctly to you guys.  Also do I need to add the Kato insulated joiners on this layout ? If so.  Where would they get placed at?  Sorry for all these Questions . Any help would be grateful. [/img][/img]

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
Re: Few questions about layout please
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:00:39 PM »

NSMR #1975, RMR #4

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Few questions about layout please
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 01:00:43 PM »
+1
Welcome to the forum .. and model railroading .. by all means, the book above is good info .. but lets try to get you started

To do what you want - run a train on the outside loop and on the inside loop, you can simply isolate the two loops from each other, then hook the power pack to the appropriate loop.  That will get old after a while .. and you will need to do some simple wiring ..  see the picture above ..  some double pole, double throw switches to allow you to route power from either power pack to the track will do the trick ..

Atlas and Kato sell parts to make this simple .. if you don't feel comfortable wiring up the swithces

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-220-controller/
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-215-selector/