Author Topic: DIGITRAX DT602 TRHOTTLE  (Read 11079 times)

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
Re: DIGITRAX DT602 TRHOTTLE
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 01:36:38 PM »
Wait!  It has a voice option???   :trollface:

Only if the locos are sound equipped.  ;)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »
Glad my DT400 is still working after all these years.  The MSRP on the DT602 is a bit steep.  Par for modern DCC throttles, but still a bit steep.  For that same price I could buy kits for four more C&S/RGS boxcars and four more C&S/RGS stock cars plus the decals to finish them.  Besides, I just replaced my DB50 and power supply with the new Zephyr Express (for half the cost of this one throttle, LOL) so I'm in good shape.  Maybe not as good a shape as that throttle though...   :D

The price is about the same (within $5) of the current DT500D.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »

I'm not arguing that...just that I'm glad my 15+-year-old DT400 is still kickin'.  New throttles in general are expensive.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7964
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
+2
You liked ergonomics of the old throttles (like DT400)?  OMG!  Wow! Gou gotta be kidding!  :facepalm:  IMO, there was nothing ergonomic about them - just the opposite - very poor ergonomics.  The only thing going for them is that they are true dual-throttles (and now the sexy shape).  :)

As far as speed control knobs, the old Digitrax  throttle, and the new ones have those endlessly spinning encoders (just like the NCE scroll wheel).  No difference there. Can't tell the speed by looking at either Digitrax knobs or NCE scroll wheel without looking at the display.  Only the utility throttle uses a potentiometer with defined stops, and a mark on the knob to show the speed.

I did! And if you didn't it's probably because you were holding them wrong, like this:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is FAR better:

It really makes a world of difference.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »

Pricing at Streamlined Backshop which should be withing a few $ of most online prices:

DT602 - Tethered - https://store.sbs4dcc.com/DigitraxDCCDT602AdvancedSuperThrottle.aspx - $146.25
DT602D - Duplex Radio - https://store.sbs4dcc.com/DigitraxDCCDT602DAdvancedDuplexSuperThrottle.aspx - $195.00

TCS UWT-100 - WiFi - https://store.sbs4dcc.com/TCS-TrainControlSystems-2.aspx - $299.00
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
I did! And if you didn't it's probably because you were holding them wrong, like this:

This is FAR better:

It really makes a world of difference.

I am familiar with those throttles since we use them in my NTRAK club, and on some layouts I frequent.  I still don't' get your point about not having to look at the throttle to determine the speed setting.  Those knobs you like so much are endlessly spinning encoders. Yes, you can use one hand to hold the throttle while using your thumb to twirl the knob, but I can operate my NCE throttle's speed wheel the same exact way (without looking at the throttle). Actually I find it easier to move the NCE scroll wheel than the vertical knob on the Digitrax throttle.  And I can also blindly hit the direction knob. I still do not understand your point.

But I do have to admit that because the new Digitrax throttle has bigger knobs, they will likely be even easier to turn using your thumb.
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »
I am familiar with those throttles since we use them in my NTRAK club, and on some layouts I frequent.  I still don't' get your point about not having to look at the throttle to determine the speed setting.  Those knobs you like so much are endlessly spinning encoders. Yes, you can use one hand to hold the throttle while using your thumb to twirl the knob, but I can operate my NCE throttle's speed wheel the same exact way (without looking at the throttle). Actually I find it easier to move the NCE scroll wheel than the vertical knob on the Digitrax throttle.  And I can also blindly hit the direction knob. I still do not understand your point.

Pete,

I think he's referring to the detent nature of the Digitrax DT400 series throttle knobs.  When I used Digitrax, I recall that I could turn the knob (feel and hear the "click") and easily calculate, without looking, how much I reduced or increased the throttle.  You can't do that on the NCE wheel (at least I couldn't).

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
What do you mean?

per article KB696 from 2012.

Jason

They no longer use the hex system?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Yeah, there is no discernible click/detention on the nce throttle wheel. But I find myself now using the one speed step, speed increase/decrease and the 10x speed step, fast increase/decrease buttons a lot more.  I do have Around 30secs of momentum programmed on my locos though.
Steve

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
Started reading the manual on their website. It specifically says DT602 can be used without batteries when plugged into Loconet. It uses three AA batteries instead of the usual 9 volt. That's a plus for sure. There is an optional rechargeable battery pack available. There's a charging jack built into the throttle. It takes a 2mm coax plug and a 10 - 18 volt DC power supply 100ma min. Looks like another PS14 or similar.
Martin Myers

The manual says a BP600, but you can't that on the Digitrax website. I'm curious at what the price of that will be. Or is this a case of lets put the new controller out there because of no NSE Convention or National Train Show, and we will figure out the battery pack announcement to come out later.

I laugh about the ergonomics of the controller, and I'm glad I didn't bite on the DT500D. I still have plenty of DT100/300/402R/Ds  and UT4s, but I'll pick this one up solely on the on/off button and the AA Batteries/Rechargeable Battery pack. I have tons of those around the house, and the only thing the 9Vs are used for are the old throttles and the smoke detectors.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
Pete,

I think he's referring to the detent nature of the Digitrax DT400 series throttle knobs.  When I used Digitrax, I recall that I could turn the knob (feel and hear the "click") and easily calculate, without looking, how much I reduced or increased the throttle.  You can't do that on the NCE wheel (at least I couldn't).

DFF

Ok, fair enough, but Ed seemed to be demonstrating how to properly hold the throttle with one hand, while being able able to turn the knob with the thumb.  Clicking or knob detents were not mentioned anywhere in his post.
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
Ok, fair enough, but Ed seemed to be demonstrating how to properly hold the throttle with one hand, while being able able to turn the knob with the thumb.  Clicking or knob detents were not mentioned anywhere in his post.

And to think that all of those guys today were raving about how you get all of your facts straight.  :trollface:

You guys might be laughing at the shape, but I think it's great.

One of the things I really LIKE about the existing Digitrax throttles is their ergonomics. I know it sounds crazy, but it's possible to cradle the throttle in your hand in a way that makes it really easy to operate the throttles without looking at it and the encoder wheels give a really great feedback as to what you're doing. With NCE throttles and that weird free wheeling wheel, you have to look at the throttle to know how much you just throttled up. With the Digitrax knob you get built in feedback.  (Emphasis added.)

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
And to think that all of those guys today were raving about how you get all of your facts straight.  :trollface:

DFF

I didn't go *THAT* far back Dave!  I was responding to Ed's nice pictorial post.  :P  :)

But even with the clicks, unless one looks at the display, the actual speed is not known (unless you start at zero speed and in your mind keep track of the number of the clicks the knob made while you are turning it.  Doe anybody actually do that? I know that I would not even attempt to do that.

Besides, why bother with clicks when you are actually watching the movement of that loco you are controlling? Does it matter *THAT MUCH* whether you know that the loco is running at speed step 2, 4, 6, or 12 out of 128 steps when you are actually watching the loco moving on the layout? The only useful feedback from a speed control knob would be at speed step zero, so you'll know that the loco will not creep. And the only throttles that have a knob with a hard stop at zero and at maximum speed are the utility throttle.
. . . 42 . . .

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
I've held Digitrax knobs as @Ed Kapuscinski suggests and I never know whats up.  I need two fingers to get the knob to turn in a satisfactory manner. I can roll the NCE (and MRC) wheel all day and feel like I'm doing something.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »
+1
I've held Digitrax knobs as @Ed Kapuscinski suggests and I never know whats up.  I need two fingers to get the knob to turn in a satisfactory manner. I can roll the NCE (and MRC) wheel all day and feel like I'm doing something.

@Philip H,

You're okay, just as long as you don't hold Digitrax's knobs as @chicken45 suggests . . .  :trollface:

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!