Author Topic: Wire Mesh For Chain Link Fence  (Read 1212 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
Wire Mesh For Chain Link Fence
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »
I wish I would've know this before I scratch built from wire and plastic on other layouts:

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Wire Mesh For Chain Link Fence
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
Clever idea, but IMO neither the post spacing, nor the chain-link material produce close-to-scale model of a chain link fence.
Approximation of a chain link fence? Yes. But not a very good scale model. That would be even worse in N scale.  But then it all depends how close to scale you want to make it.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
+6
For close-to-scale chainlink fence, there's almost nothing better than tulle, a.k.a. wedding veil fabric.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 10:15:36 PM »
For close-to-scale chainlink fence, there's almost nothing better than tulle, a.k.a. wedding veil fabric.

It is amazing what you did with that Wiking VW Beetle. A little paint on the tires, foot boards, headlights, and ample rust application made it very realistic.  The orange car (Wiking Ford Capri?) doesn't look too shabby either.

And of course the fence looks quite good too.  The tulle in N scale is probably the closest to proper scale to 1:1 chin link fence I have seen.  BLMA etched fencing is not bad either (but much pricier, and not as see-through).
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 01:45:49 AM »
Thank you!

In the original video above, the builder also uses tulle, but the material comes in a variety of mesh sizes. For N Scale, use the finest tulle you can find. It comes in grey, so you don't need to paint it if the fence is "new." I used grey and "rusted" it with two shades of brown Sharpie.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 09:54:21 PM »
+1
I found some ribbon at Michael's  that, when trimmed to a scale height and dulled down with some matte finish works pretty well.

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net