Author Topic: The Southern Railway Memphis division circa 1975  (Read 18534 times)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
Re: The Southern Railway Memphis division circa 1975
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
Same here...I like operations, but also just like to see ‘em run. I have point-to-point visible with a hidden double end staging yard connected to each end. Best of both worlds

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
Continuing to bang away at it. Managed to get all of the crap stuffed back in here. A lot of the valence structure is up. Old roll of wide format paper folded in half stands in for the backdrop. As much as I have done I am still so far from actually laying track.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »
+2
Figured out the upper valence was too high. It looked great on the 12 in shelf but on wider areas you could see the superstructure. Measured around and figured 3 inches it needed to come down. Moved it and resecured. Drilled all of the benchwork for wiring. Ran DCC bus and 3 runs of cat 3 for 2 loconets and 1 spare run. Have to get another spool of wire for a 14v dc bus for accessories. Any lower voltages can be stepped down at the site of need.

Vince P

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »
Looking good

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »
Thanks Vince.

So as I get closer and closer to actually laying some for real track I have to keep asking myself “Are you really at this point?” “What are you forgetting to do?”

I still have to run the constant DC bus wire. But after that I am contemplating gluing down some foam in one of two areas and laying some honest to goodness permanent track. Both areas are single or simple double track and would be fairly straightforward to do.

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »
+1
Go for it.....lay some track and run some trains - even if it’s just a diversion from all the other work that still needs to get done.   

Michel

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
+1
So I got some more track on order. I think I will put the last piece of backdrop up on the peninsula. Paint all of it blue and get the foam glued down. Put down some track on the peninsula and see if something will run.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 10:22:35 PM »
+1
So track came in and I have had to try some new things. I used roll cork on the staging level. I used caulk to secure track. So far it is working out. First train ran under its own power.

/>

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 10:39:25 PM »
Congrats!!!

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »
+1
Only temporary right?  That track is pretty close to the edge there.   :scared:

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »
+2
So track came in and I have had to try some new things. I used roll cork on the staging level. I used caulk to secure track. So far it is working out. First train ran under its own power.

Before you get too far ahead, try getting some radius tools for those joints to avoid the kinks, stuff like that will give you issues in the future.
-Al

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »
Cork and cock go well
 side by side !

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
The distance to the edge is a consideration and on the loops there is definitely space to tuck it in some. I started with the thought that I would have 4 loops but I have now trimmed that to three. So there is room to move it. The joints are soldered while the flex is straight. It looks wonky in person but those are the things I have to learn to do. Radius tools I will have to google. So i contine to putt(actually wide open as I slowed it down in the speed table, and it has not run in forever)one diesel back and forth on the track I have laid. If you look carefully in the pics you can see the torture test train in the background. 2 boxes, one empty and one loaded BLMA F89s, one MT autorack and one Athearn autorack. Metal wheels, combination of body and truck mounted couplers, this thing will find track issues. Since I only have two turnouts on the wired section I am batting .500 with turnout trackwork. The closest one works fine but the far one makes the first BLMA car unhappy. I will be addressing that soon. Many people have said you can never have too much staging. Many other people have said spacing in staging is critical. 1.25 or 1.5 center to center? I drew plans based on 1.25. Put a couple pieces of flex on that spacing and you realize that any fixing of a car on that spacing would require moving the trains on either side. I designed for 7.5 inches of space between bottom of benchwork and track. It seems ok in my brain so far. The inside corner behind the drill is the furthest reach at 17.5 inches from either side. That is a long way for stuff at that back track or two. But I have already eliminated a few by increasing the spacing. I will deal with the reach to keep capacity at the 14 tracks I have laid out now. Each track is double ended and leads to one of three return loops. Outside two loops each have a turnout to serve two tracks on either side. The inside track will serve three tracks on either side. So depending on what is going on each “end”(there are three) of the layout has 4 staging tracks with one clear through track available. The loops could each store a train so that is two more slots with still an open through track(is it necessary? i dont know but it is available). So 14 trains in the storage yard. The A/D yard has room for 6 more trains with keeping one through track open for each end. The current plan has all tracks capable of feeding trains outbound from Sheffield yard. That will be the middle track on the helix. Trains on this track either go south to Bham on the lower deck or west to Memphis on the upper. Traffic to and from Sheffield will be the most numerous. But even at 20 trains capacity, that is going to require some reuse in a full operating session. Potentially I can stage three more in the helix as the first trains out raising the number to 23 trains with maybe 1 more outbound from Sheffield in the upper part of the helix. So two on the Sheffield lead (middle track of three) one will go south and one will go west. So things to think about and really begin to flesh out an operating plan for.

Specter3

• Crew
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2021, 12:43:03 PM »
+4
So I put together enought track to form the outer turnback loop all the way to the helix entrance. I made a temporary loop on the helix base. I used some old Peco c55 to form the loop so I did not waste new track. Now I am just letting some stuff circle

JFRT

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2021, 08:08:41 PM »
+1
Bravo. Nice to see trains start running.