Author Topic: LokSound 5 into N-Scale Kato P42 - using all 6 powered functions  (Read 1707 times)

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Two and a half years ago, I put a LokSound Select Micro into a Kato P42, documented in this topic
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43410.0

I showed how to convert the logic level outputs on the Select to powered, enabling 6 outputs.  This week, I was asked to perform the same install, but this time used the LokSound 5 Micro DCC decoder, which has 6 powered functions (and 3 logic functions) on the board (what is interesting is that two of the logic functions, Aux 3 & Aux4 are not accessible on any pad on the decoder or connector board). 

One thing I had not done on the prior install is create a video

The prior thread shows how the LEDs are installed in the front and rear lighting housing.   I used 0402s for the front ditch and marker lights; 0603s for the rear markers.  1206 warm white LEDS are the front and rear headlamps.  The red markers are wired serially, and all lighting circuits have 1500 ohm resistors

Of course, this type of install creates a "tethered" shell, with lots of magnet wire.  Here's an overall view of the install
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

A bit closer view of the full body

Close up of decoder and soldering boards at rear and center of the loco.  The aft soldering board has the connections for the rear lights (yellow and teal wires) as well as connections for U+ (blue) and ground (spotted white) for the stay alives.  You can see the 100 uH inductor on the second soldering row.  The front board has the four pads for the front lights (from top: pink (red markers), green (ditchlight 1), white (headlamp), purple (ditchlight 2)) and a U+

At the front of the loco is the speaker and the stay alive caps (2 330uF Poly-Ta caps)

Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: LokSound 5 into N-Scale Kato P42 - using all 6 powered functions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »
Another great install, Rick.

Added to master list.

John C.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
Yep, those small magnet wires start looking like spider webs. Especially when you start hunting for one in particular.
Happy lighting here!

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
I'm quite jealous. I have a P42 that's been on the workbench for ages. How do you manage to keep the little LEDs attached to, well, whatever it is you use. I've tried gluing them to the light board, and they never seem to stay. Do you make your own light board for the headlight? What glue do you use?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm quite jealous. I have a P42 that's been on the workbench for ages. How do you manage to keep the little LEDs attached to, well, whatever it is you use. I've tried gluing them to the light board, and they never seem to stay. Do you make your own light board for the headlight? What glue do you use?

I use Bondic - a UV cure adhesive.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Super_G

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »
What brand and gauge magnet wire do you use for the LED's? Nice install by the way!

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »
What brand and gauge magnet wire do you use for the LED's? Nice install by the way!

38 AWG.   I purchase the green/red rolls  from Ngineering.com
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N