Author Topic: FreeMo MVP Needs  (Read 7266 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: FreeMo MVP Needs
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »
There have been a few of us in RANTRAK discussing freemo-N.  Were not thrilled with the mountain line idea (which our club and running partners have embraced) mixed with the three mainlines and want a more prototypical layout that incorporates passing sidings and a central dispatcher to control blocks and trains. Also something that allows us better copy some actual scenes we would like to model.

Not sure if we can get traction or not since the club is very iffy about new things and anything not adhering to the standard Ntrak modules.  And our venture into t-trak has been less than successful with a few issues.  Problems also crop up with us attaching to club modules at a show and the roundy rounders and malingerer trainmasters with problem consists that will cause issues when they run on it, which is inevitable.  We just can't keep them off if we attach.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »
Maybe I could get in to it too. I’m a little iffy about some of the attitudes that go into a lot of N Trak groups and making a couple modules sounds fun. Trick is actually getting the things into my car. Buick sedans aren’t known for massive cargo space.

That's why you gotta get the Sportback one! :)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 11:15:42 PM »
FWIW - Delaware guy here. 

Awesome. Glad you're here!

Have you seen this?

/>
I'm glad to hear you're doing some loops.

I'm now thinking about what my first scene might be. Hmm.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Have you seen this?

/>
I'm now thinking about what my first scene might be. Hmm.
Have you been stocking up on these cars?

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »
Maybe I could get in to it too. I’m a little iffy about some of the attitudes that go into a lot of N Trak groups and making a couple modules sounds fun. Trick is actually getting the things into my car. Buick sedans aren’t known for massive cargo space.

Bit of poor planning there. :lol:

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:17 PM »
Bit of poor planning there. :lol:

Hey, I owned a fairly roomy Blazer when I chose to go down the road of modulars.

I can probably get a small module in my car, just need to get the thing to fit on the rear bench. I have gotten a 6 foot ladder to fit  in there for work before.
-Al

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »
+1
Module transportation....think WAY ahead.
Decide you want to do FreemoN...Search for 2 years for a good used Suburban. Buy for wife. Trainshow weekend comes around, tell her you need to swap cars. Load suburban to the max :-)

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »
Search for 2 years for a good used Suburban.
A Ford Excursion would be even better.

Kusi

• Respect: +1
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2020, 02:15:11 AM »
In my opinion, I would start simple. That's what I did. I started with a "filler" module. You still can use it to take photos of your rolling stock. ;-) This way you gain some knowledge and, if you do a mistake, you don't have to worry about it. Later you can start with more complex modules like switching.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
Module transportation....think WAY ahead.
Decide you want to do FreemoN...Search for 2 years for a good used Suburban. Buy for wife. Trainshow weekend comes around, tell her you need to swap cars. Load suburban to the max :-)

This is the reason why I've always been a wagon/hatch guy. Every car I've owned has been one of the two. Even the current one:
https://www.buick.com/sedans/regal/gs

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »
Well food for thought in 5yrs when I can look into another vehicle.

Worse come to worst I don't think any of my sisters would mind doing a weekend car swap. Though dragging a Suburban to Baltimore sounds like a challenge, but opens up options.
-Al

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
I’ve been interested in free-moN for years, but the lack of any real presence in my area (up until @delphiz302 built his modules) has been what has kept me from doing anything.
Only thing is that with the standard being code 55, any modules I would want to build would probably be disallowed from most layouts as I’d be using code 40 trackage with chaired bullhead rail.

But before I were to do anything new, I’d need to finally get the basement beneath the studio emptied.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2020, 11:43:44 PM »
Made two modules and joined the Minnesota Free-mo and been having a blast. Thanks to one of the members father we have a place with heat/AC to work in...and run!!

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
I have a Ford Tourneo Connect [Transit Connect in the US] for 2 reasons.

delphiz302

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
    • Delaware Free-moN Facebook
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2020, 09:11:20 PM »

/>
Had not seen it, I like the "advanced electronics" aka the blinking light.

Have you been stocking up on these cars?

No just modern.  A lot of tracks have been added in the last decade at the refinery.

I’ve been interested in free-moN for years, but the lack of any real presence in my area (up until @delphiz302 built his modules) has been what has kept me from doing anything.
Only thing is that with the standard being code 55, any modules I would want to build would probably be disallowed from most layouts as I’d be using code 40 trackage with chaired bullhead rail.

But before I were to do anything new, I’d need to finally get the basement beneath the studio emptied.
Yes you are disallowed. Free-moN only has like 5 rules and you already want to break one of them. Stick with your narrow gauge O scale nonsense.