Author Topic: FreeMo MVP Needs  (Read 7233 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
FreeMo MVP Needs
« on: June 01, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »
All this hot FreeMo stuff is killing me. I want in.

From those of you with some experience, what would you consider the "minimal viable product" for a Freemo setup?

These are the things I'm thinking may or may not be needed to get something off the ground:

DCC Control System
Return loop module(s)
Yard modules
Passing siding modules
Junction modules

I know @Hiroe 's HO group started with what was essentially a giant (20' radius?) circle and has expanded from there. I've also seen groups that end up just having a bunch of point to point stuff that, at least in my experience, doesn't ever seem to actually be running at a show.

So what's the straight dope?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: FreeMo MVP Needs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »

DCC Control System

Doesn't it require Digitrax?

Jason

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
Does not require Digitrax.  Does require a LocoNet compatible throttle bus, but really only when different groups get together.

Junctions are "advanced", you don't need them as a minimum, but they sure make things a lot of fun; and, a yard can be your passing area getting started (or vice versa) 
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
+1
Struggling to understand why you are thinking you need so much, here in the UK / Europe and I think it is much the same in the US if you are going to join a freemo meet then to get started all you need is a module.
3 of us here in York UK started by going to a freemo meet and talking with the guys that we would be meeting with, we then set about building our own modules, we already had a fiddle yard that we modified to specification and we could run trains on our own and take our modules to a meet, we have a digitrax system in a box [command station that can be used as a booster, dcc specialities breakers, UR92, LNRP, locobuffer and pr3]. The organiser of the meet provide command station and if needed we just plug in as a booster.
Here in the North of England there are basically 3 groups that meet up when we can, the largest group has large end loops with passing tracks that then allow continuous running and fiddle yard storage, our group of 3 has built simple return loops.
Hope that makes sense.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
Struggling to understand why you are thinking you need so much, here in the UK / Europe and I think it is much the same in the US if you are going to join a freemo meet then to get started all you need is a module.
3 of us here in York UK started by going to a freemo meet and talking with the guys that we would be meeting with, we then set about building our own modules, we already had a fiddle yard that we modified to specification and we could run trains on our own and take our modules to a meet, we have a digitrax system in a box [command station that can be used as a booster, dcc specialities breakers, UR92, LNRP, locobuffer and pr3]. The organiser of the meet provide command station and if needed we just plug in as a booster.
Here in the North of England there are basically 3 groups that meet up when we can, the largest group has large end loops with passing tracks that then allow continuous running and fiddle yard storage, our group of 3 has built simple return loops.
Hope that makes sense.

That's a good point. What I'm talking about is about what is really needed to setup a layout in a group and have it be something that's actually worth doing.

Sounds like end loops are a must.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
Im starting with 4 corner modules to make a fancy roundy-round. I plan to evolve from there once I develop some skills. The next thing for me to tackle will be the electronics. I know that digitax isn’t required, but is very popular. The rub is that my home system is NCE, so I’m currently researching how to setup so that both can be used.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3054
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 08:02:46 PM »
Im starting with 4 corner modules to make a fancy roundy-round. I plan to evolve from there once I develop some skills. The next thing for me to tackle will be the electronics. I know that digitax isn’t required, but is very popular. The rub is that my home system is NCE, so I’m currently researching how to setup so that both can be used.

Develop some skills ?  You get much better and most of us won't be posting many photos :D

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

Develop some skills???
Man, you are there.   I’ve gone through your entire Layout Engineering thread several times - awesome work!

Michel

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 09:12:17 PM »
+1
Develop some skills ?  You get much better and most of us won't be posting many photos :D

Thanks - I suck at electronics, that's why there aren't any pictures. If I tried to build some of the DCC in a box setups I've seen on here I would take down the entire power grid in SC :P

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:33:32 PM »
+1
Thanks - I suck at electronics, that's why there aren't any pictures. If I tried to build some of the DCC in a box setups I've seen on here I would take down the entire power grid in SC :P

I'll be happy to help ya along if you want to replicate my setup. I am no electronic wizard and it was all assembled with no soldering whatsoever.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:53:01 AM »
So to prevent thread drift, what would be the minimum DCC setup to get started with FreemoN at home?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »
So to prevent thread drift, what would be the minimum DCC setup to get started with FreemoN at home?

Booster/command station and a throttle?  I'd probably also add a computer interface to program locomotives with JMRI

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1826
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
+1
For a first setup, you don’t need return loops. If you can get a yard, awesome. It certainly helps ops. Return loops are convenient for  turning trains, but they burn up a lot of real estate (in transport vehicles).

The same goes for junction modules. Nice, but not necessary right off the bat. I did start with a junction, but that was because I was joining an existing group that didn’t have any yet.

A yard, and a few straight-ish modules with some industries to switch and you’ll be in business. Think of it as a mini-layout, that you can always add onto layer. Make sure the first modules operate flawlessly. Derailments during a show are annoying.

Something I found interesting: I came to Freemo from NTrak. The layout we ran for FreemoN was
Yard
Industries
Scenic
Jct to Industrial Branchline
Scenic
Industries
Yard

It was a miniature version of how real railroads are laid out. Our trains ran like real trains do. Through trains, locals, and industrial switch jobs. We got more people stopping and asking questions about the ops than anything else. It was awesome! It also only took 4 of us to make that happen.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:32:25 AM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
+1
Why not start with a switching puzzle for fun, with a through mainline to avoid in the puzzle? Could even get some kids involved using the puzzle during a show.

3rdboxcar

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
    • Boxcar models [my shapeweays shop]
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:11 PM »
+1
Here are our very simple end loops, made out of 19mm laser cut ply, track radius is 18"

I drew these up myself so if you would like the file let me know and you can get your own cut.