Author Topic: 3D printed NYC Commodore Vanderbilt build  (Read 3182 times)

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
Re: 3D printed NYC Commodore Vanderbilt build
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
This NYC engine is another terrific effort.  Beautiful job!

I have a question of curiosity (hope this doesn't side track your thread....)..
Is that motor in the Model Power 4-6-2 the stock motor that it comes with?  Does it have that big flywheel/worm combo on it now?

Any chance you have a close-up shot of that motor?

Thank you.   Now back to your construction thread.  Congratulations on a real beauty of an engine!

Stock motor from the Model Power Pacific. Weight originally comes from the Model Power engine shell, for weight I filled almost the top of the engine shell with BB's mixed with moldable lead the CAed in place. Weighs about as much as a brass engine now.
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 11:19:31 AM »
wow, nice work! along with the rest I see in your photobucket.

Did you print these yourself?

The SP AC-9, UP 4-12-2 Class 9000, UP 49er, both SF Blue Gooses, UP FEF-1 was Jason Smith's solid cast resin ones, which I still have several more of his to build yet. The GN W1 Electric (designed by Mike), NH EP-5 and E-33's, Little Joes (designed by Mike), and Krauss Maffeis are all Shapeways builds. The Commodore Vanderbilt and Pennsy S1 and S2 are 3D printed by a friend that does Cad Design for a living.  Hes also designing other streamlined steamers for chassis we feel the best for conversions. He also has 3D printed some of the unusual UP diesels which I have but haven't built yet.  Also he sells his prints.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:27:19 AM by UP4-8-8-4 »
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
pennsy S1 and S2 are 3D printed by a friend that does Cad Design for a living.  Hes also designing other streamlined steamers for chassis we feel the best for conversions. He also has 3D printed some of the unusual UP diesels which I have but haven't built yet.  Also he sells his prints.

curious, does he do any other PRR steam for sale?
thanks for any information

sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384