Author Topic: N Scale Basement Layout  (Read 2560 times)

dowish

• Crew
  • KF7LPT
  • Respect: +10
Re: N Scale Basement Layout
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 11:18:02 PM »
Well, laid cork till I ran out of pins to hold it in place.  I was also able to get some turnouts so I can put in the first crossover.  That brings me to my next question.  On previous layouts, I've used either the Caboose Industries ground throws or used DPDT micro switches to control my turnouts.  I'm planning doing that on this layout except for the crossovers which I'd like to be able to to use a single control to throw both switches.  Is there a simple way to do that?  I found the Bullfrog Crossover Kit https://www.handlaidtrack.com/bf-0020 but I've got some concerns.  First, do these work in N scale?  I'm also concerned that since I'll be mounting them to the HCD that there isn't enough material for the screws to mount firmly.  Finally, looking at the directions, they seem pretty complex to assemble.

Anyway, any recommendations on controlling the crossovers?

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
Re: N Scale Basement Layout
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 12:16:12 PM »
Well, laid cork till I ran out of pins to hold it in place.  I was also able to get some turnouts so I can put in the first crossover.  That brings me to my next question.  On previous layouts, I've used either the Caboose Industries ground throws or used DPDT micro switches to control my turnouts.  I'm planning doing that on this layout except for the crossovers which I'd like to be able to to use a single control to throw both switches.  Is there a simple way to do that?  I found the Bullfrog Crossover Kit https://www.handlaidtrack.com/bf-0020 but I've got some concerns.  First, do these work in N scale?  I'm also concerned that since I'll be mounting them to the HCD that there isn't enough material for the screws to mount firmly.  Finally, looking at the directions, they seem pretty complex to assemble.

Anyway, any recommendations on controlling the crossovers?

Looking at the instructions, it looks like it uses a spring loaded ball to "lock" the throw rod at each end of it's travel.  As a result it does not appear as the distance the throw rod moves is adjustable and as you will be mounting this to the underside of an HCD, the distance from the Bullfrog pivot to the points cross bar will be on the order of a couple of inches.  This could mean the throw would be to great for the turnout.  You could compensate for this by using a very flexible throw rod that would bend when the points hit the stock rail. 

If it were me I'd use a couple of these.
https://www.micromark.com/Blue-Point-Switch-MachineTurnout-Controller

As you can see the fulcrum for the throw wire can be moved up or down to vary the throw and the actuator bar is double ended.  You could connect them both with the same control cable that the Bullfrog unit uses which is a product from Sullivans Products called Gold-n-Rod.  You can get the control cables from any place that carries products for R/C planes or cars.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.