Author Topic: New Walthers Train Station / Convenience Store  (Read 1380 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
New Walthers Train Station / Convenience Store
« on: July 15, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Hahahahahah.

So I was looking at the new Walthers "Modern Suburban Station" and thinking "damn, that looks like a convenience store".

Well you know what, so did Walthers!

Take a look:
https://lombardhobby.com/walthers-cornerstone-n-933-3887-modern-suburban-station-kit/
and
https://lombardhobby.com/walthers-cornerstone-n-933-3885-modern-gas-station-kit/

They're both the same although the store comes with gas pumps.

This is pretty brilliant on Walthers part. I once had a structure manufacturer tell me that people have a hard time getting past the name of the kit.

"I know the building (a generic skyscraper) says 'B&O Headquarters', but do you think I could use it for a different railroad?"

He then offered the same kit under another more generic name and sold more.

I also think this is a good commentary on the sad state of modern commercial architecture.

But the kits look nice.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:37:43 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
Re: New Walthers Train Station / Convenience Store
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
Hahahahahah.

So I was looking at the new Walthers "Modern Suburban Station" and thinking "damn, that looks like a convenience store".

Well you know what, so did Walthers!

Take a look:
https://lombardhobby.com/walthers-cornerstone-n-933-3887-modern-suburban-station-kit/
and
https://lombardhobby.com/walthers-cornerstone-n-933-3885-modern-gas-station-kit/

They're both the same although the store comes with gas pumps.

This is pretty brilliant on Walthers part. I once had a structure manufacturer tell me that people have a hard time getting past the name of the kit.

"I know the building (a generic skyscraper) says 'B&O Headquarters', but do you think I could use it for a different railroad?"

He then offered the same kit under another more generic name and sold more.

I also think this is a good commentary on the sad state of modern commercial architecture.

But the kits look nice.
You mean building designers? A lot of modern commercial buildings are just a box with walls in different spots inside. They basically just plan where to run utilities and that's it. And then you get an architect who comes up with some gawd awful  monstrosity that calls it art. We need more Frank Llyod Wrights in the world. But that's just my opinion.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 03:19:17 PM »
The station is out of my timeframe.  But does anyone recognize the building behind it with all the windows?  The windows look like the ones in DPM modulars, but too much flat space (the modulars have columns every 3 windows).  Back wall to one of the DPM hotels, perhaps?  Or one of the Walthers blocks of buildings?

Odd, when I looked at the pic of the station, my focus went right past the station, cars, parking lot and right to the pull cords on the window shades in the building behind the train cars.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
The station is out of my timeframe.  But does anyone recognize the building behind it with all the windows?  The windows look like the ones in DPM modulars, but too much flat space (the modulars have columns every 3 windows).  Back wall to one of the DPM hotels, perhaps?  Or one of the Walthers blocks of buildings?

Odd, when I looked at the pic of the station, my focus went right past the station, cars, parking lot and right to the pull cords on the window shades in the building behind the train cars.

I think those are the backs of some of the merchants row buildings.

Which reminds me, you know what make really great nondescript buildings? The BACKS of the ubiquitous DPM commercial ones. Thanks to DKS for turning me onto that possibility.

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
That's the back of the Merchant's row III, which comes with window shades printed on paper.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:30 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen.
For whatever reason, over the past 30 years or so, anytime I was buying buildings, DPM buildings were in stock and on sale, and the Merchant's row buildings were not.  I'll keep an eye peeled for the next Walthers sale- I have just the place for the back of that building...
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »
That gas station doesn't look too much like a Wawa...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

RSWController

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 04:52:02 AM »
That gas station doesn't look too much like a Wawa...

Jeff

The huge player in Wisconsin is Kwik Trip and the model looks a lot like the newer designs of those. Being Walthers is based in Milwaukee, I can see the connection. I’m curious if they’ve licensed any actual signage from any actual companies like Kwik Trip, Wawa, RaceTrak etc...