Author Topic: Another layout - thinking process  (Read 5462 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Another layout - thinking process
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
And here is Wabeno (now I realize it is upside down  :facepalm:  )

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 06:49:20 PM »
Is this the wye?

Nice view. Yes, it is the wye. Thanks. I now I see there is (was) a small yard there also. Good to know. Do you know what year that is from?

I did use the "push-pin". But the images I posted earlier were all that came up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:52:02 PM by GimpLizard »

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Well, Wabeno sure hasn't changed much.

Then
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Now
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Well now what-the-heck? I done saved and rotated the 'then' picture. How come Railwire rotated it back? Done gone and spoiled everythan I tryin' to do. Shoot.  :oops:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:31:44 PM by GimpLizard »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »
+1

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
Thanks Dave. You are a man of many talents. While I, apparently, am not.  :facepalm:

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
Thanks Dave. You are a man of many talents. While I, apparently, am not.  :facepalm:

Yeah, but your version was funnier.  :D

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 02:53:48 AM »
The wye crop is also 1938.

When you use the foot to overlay on the map, the smaller squares are probably the better detailed ones. But yeah you are out in the boonies  :D Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. The one main rail junction where I live has clouds over it in most of the aerials.

Also not saying it always works, but on Google maps you can switch to "terrain" and sometimes see roadbed outlines that would normally just be a bunch of trees. I was trying to follow the 3' gauge EBT till I got lost in the woods. Toggled on terrain and could see it plain as day. Even found both tunnels.

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
+1
The wye crop is also 1938.

When you use the foot to overlay on the map, the smaller squares are probably the better detailed ones. But yeah you are out in the boonies  :D Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. The one main rail junction where I live has clouds over it in most of the aerials.

Thanks. I guess I'm going to have to play around with it some more. To figure out how the whole things works.

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:03 AM »

I did learn something else that's interesting though. The NBN used to interchange with the Wisconsin Central a few miles north of Laona, at Laona Jct. What's interesting is that that WC line (now an unused CN line) is a former SOO Line line. The same SOO Line line that passes through the Tesch Jct that Thomas mentioned at the start of this thread. Is that a coincidence, or what?

Yes, very interesting. I wasn't aware of that as well. It's the line through Pembine Wi, which is another interesting junction. Now CN and ELS, then Soo and Milw.
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
Yes, very interesting. I wasn't aware of that as well. It's the line through Pembine Wi, which is another interesting junction. Now CN and ELS, then Soo and Milw.

My father's family is from that area. Dad was born in Armstrong Creek, about 10 miles west of Pembine. I spent a lot of time up there in the 60's and 70's. Still have a couple of cousins there.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
Wasn’t there a narrow gauge line in Dunbar, I believe that is near Armstrong Creek ?

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »
Wabeno, Laona and Pembine for a large part of the early 20th century was the lumbering center for the Connor family and their lumber and window companies. I think if you check laonahistory.com you may find some useful pictures. The Connors were a very influential family in Wisconsin from the Wausau area and north. Even had a Secretary of Defense in the family Melvin Laird during the Nixon years who was a grandson. There is enough history on the family in Northern Wisconsin that some search on Google of their lumber businesses might yield some help. Good luck.

TomO

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »
Wasn’t there a narrow gauge line in Dunbar, I believe that is near Armstrong Creek ?

Dunbar is about half way between Pembine and Armstrong Creek. I don't know about any specific narrow gauge in Dunbar, but I do know there we some lines around and through the Nicolet National forest way back in the day. My dad told me stories of cutting trees, back in the 30's, that were hauled out by narrow gauge. These were "temporary" lines that were pulled up, as areas were cleared, and relocated.

That Laona History site is very interesting. Thank you, Tom.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:02:02 PM by GimpLizard »

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »
I looked a bit closer at the original track plan and found out that the second crossing (CNW - SOO, looking east) is 46 degrees and a bit. I should have looked closer before....
So I changed the plan.

So that's now one 45, two 22.5 degrees cossings and two #10 turnouts.

Thomas
Thomas

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:19 PM »
After some more thoughts, I'm almost certain that this will be a Z scale project.

What do you think?
Thomas