Author Topic: Handheld throttles-anything new?  (Read 1842 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sixpakpop

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 150
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +13
Handheld throttles-anything new?
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »
0
I searched and found only this:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=17597.msg152366;topicseen#msg152366

From 2009. I know I should be using DCC, but my 6 year old grandson doesn't have TIME to learn. He wants to run, and NOW!
So I'm looking for ready to run DC handhelds and I guess I'm leaning towards this:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kstapleton3/851.HTM

Any insights?
OOO
OOO <~~~the SixPak sig~~

Point353

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3738
  • Respect: +921

Peavine

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 131
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +111
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:43:35 AM »
0
I ordered these throttles from GML. They are awesome. I run DC, with about 50 different blocks. I have three different throttles.  One for mainline, one that covers my yard, and one for my helix and staging.
If you have any questions about them, send me an email at jim@vansickle.com. 

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:01:01 AM »
0
I have both a GML and an MRC Tech 4 Railpower 250 with a walkaround on my 2-block layout (currently running with DCC).  Both are excellent products and do slow speed better than my old Tech II.  You can unplug the GML "memory" throttle and plug it in elsewhere on your layout while your loco is running.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

mmagliaro

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6498
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2014
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »
0
Can that GML throttle run a DCC-equipped engine well on DC ?   It is a PWM throttle, so I have been wondering if it confuses the DCC decoders (even in "pass through").

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 07:16:15 PM »
0
Sure, but its up to the decoder.  Most support DC.  My DZ126 equipped locos run fine.  Tried it with the GML in both PWM modes, in PWM off, and with PWM adjusted to max and min.  Didn't make any noticeable difference.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 08:01:28 PM »
0
Sure, but its up to the decoder.  Most support DC.  My DZ126 equipped locos run fine.  Tried it with the GML in both PWM modes, in PWM off, and with PWM adjusted to max and min.  Didn't make any noticeable difference.

I would venture a statement that *ALL* mobile DCC decoders support DC operation.  But that is  not the question.  DC throttles which use PWM to control the average DC voltage produce square wave signal which is similar to DCC signal. Some decoders running under that type of "DC" voltage  mode might get "confused" by the PWM pulses causing erratic running.

Sounds like whatever type and brand decoder you were using behaved properly.  It is also possible that the PWM frequency used by that throttle is high or low enough not to be confused for DCC signal.
. . . 42 . . .

Tom L

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 476
  • Respect: +530
Re: Handheld throttles-anything new?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 08:10:37 PM »
0
One of the things that I really like about the GML, is the stretchable cord. I’ve got one with the long cord option and I can reach anywhere on my 11 x 11 walk-in layout, including the hidden staging around the outside on one side, which I like since I have manual turnouts.

I noticed that the Stapleton throttle has a non stretchable cable, which I don’t think would work As well in my situation.

Oh, I run a DCC equipped Bachmann 70 tonner with no issues

Tom L
Wellington