Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/17/20  (Read 11762 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

160pennsy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 372
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +183
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
+2

Worked on my new Nn3 test layout. See below thread for details

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=49665.0


Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6657
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
0
Largest acreage I've ever tried to cover with printed paper shingles, and suffice it to say they've been putting up a helluva fight. Thank god I'm also finished with 'em -



-Mark

Nice!
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6657
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
0
Pete was kind enough to provide me with decals to correct the many errors if the first run of the TLT newsprint cars. As a recap, the models featured these issues:

Only 1 of the 6 numbers TLT produced in CN were for the right type of car.
All cars are missing the French "Canadien" spelling on one side as per prototype.
The door guides on the top are moved left one panel which is very noticeable.
The cars ride high. A scale 15" high.

I tackled most of the issues, but the paint was one I couldn't fix because proper decals are not available.

And here is the initial batch:


Looks good Daniel!
Now I see that I could have made the white line a bit thinner, but it doesn't look too out of place.
. . . 42 . . .

paultccrn

  • Posts: 15
  • Respect: +2
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
0
So real looking that it made my hayfever flare up!

Updating the foreground scenery with late summer hay fields. They are such a defining landscape feature of this part of British Columbia so I had to model them.  Have spent a good portion of the weekend making N Scale hay bales using the Luke Towan video as the guide.





peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6657
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
0
So real looking that it made my hayfever flare up!

Yeah, those bales look super-realistic!
. . . 42 . . .

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8595
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »
+5
A lot of work yesterday and overnight resulted in the Seaboard Central's trestle reaching about 90% completion.



More on the Seaboard Central 3.0 thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
+2
Those hay bails looking amazing. I'm going to have to pitch these lame-o's and give the twine a try.



Thanks for the tip!
-Mark

arbomambo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1529
  • Respect: +1595
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
+8
Final iteration of the Showcase Miniatures Desert Cafe for the T-TRAK Mother Road Motel single module.
This structure kit really adds character to the old classic motel scene.
I enjoy building doubles and triples, but there’s a lot to say about building and modeling singles - the original T-TRAK concept ‘building block’.







Of course, the wonderful Blair Line, LLC. ‘Sunset Motel’, and the inspiration for this single in my ‘Mother Road’ series of T-TRAK modules, is a nod to those old hwy motels, some of which still exist across America’s byways... like the Supai Motel in Seligman, AZ along Route 66.


"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/


lv4142003

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 97
  • Respect: +9
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »
0
W neal This is the first time I've ever seen anything modeled of the Indiana Harbor Belt - in any scale - and they look pretty damn good. Is that the original scheme, as delivered?

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
0
Mark:  No need to pitch your bales.  They may not be as common as the open ones, but I've seen fully-wrapped bales like yours.  Most seem to be in white plastic, and look like giant marshmallows, but there's no reason a farmer couldn't use brown.  Or you could paint them white.
N Kalanaga
Be well

w neal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1434
  • Respect: +483
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »
+1
It seems to be quite close to the original scheme, as delivered. I think the original scheme used a more roman type of font for the road numbers, rather than the NYC style used here. Not too many IHB modelers out there. I've seen mostly, it seems, those who model an amalgam of Chicago belt roads together.




Buffering...

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
0
Bruce, I like the water tower.    I don't know of any other railroad that had so many big landmark railroad water towers that 'reverted' to the little online communities because they were often the town water tower as well.   Kingman's is famous, but the one I remember is Rice, and the ONLY thing left there now is the water tower.

I don't know if there's an appropriate ATSF style plain tank one out there or not, but wow, that's still a  Santa Fe signature in the desert.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3834
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »
0
Those hay bails looking amazing. I'm going to have to pitch these lame-o's and give the twine a try

Thanks for the tip!
-Mark

Mark,

Spray those white (or Green/black/pink) and make them wrapped silage bales!

https://www.tama-uk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CE-Main-Agco-Stretchfolie-001.jpg

conrail1973

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Respect: +105
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
+3
Found this CR Hi-Rail vehicle on eBay last week. Nice stand in next to the River Point F350.


randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2982
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Weekend Update 5/17/20
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
+4
This one gets personal, as I've now worked with the railroad project for 15 years.   When we got the pair of FP9's there was quite a debate on color scheme, I'd suggested the MKT 'Texas Special' one, and it actually won the vote.    125 is done and running, 126 is now in the shops.   I did a pair of the N models, one for the railroad and a 'runner' for me....identical.   Both are Model Power FP7's with a lot of added work.    All decals were done from my photography and custom made.   Paint was custom mixed.   The ex-VIA FP9ARM oddball details of bell, horn, winterization hatches, and the Detroit Diesel genset changes in the rear with the roof muffler and big fan.    Ditch lights are Shapeways printed.     The coaches were a special run done by Wheels of Time in TSRR livery.










« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:10:37 PM by randgust »