Author Topic: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?  (Read 3920 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
0
I'd get a bunch of U36-Bs and do one each for ICG (in both the orange and white and grey and white schemes), MOPAC, KCS (even though they didn't get GE products until around 2000), NOPB, UP, Seaboard System, L&N, Green Bay & Western, Conrail, and FEC.  Just cause I could.

You don't want much. We can't even get U30s or U33s yet, for what reason I cannot imagine.

UP did my heritage fleet, though tributes to railroads I didn't pay much attention to is strange. The steamers are unmatched in this department, however, though I am saddened by the death of 3985.

I'd love to see them do a greyhound diesel scheme. 
Peter Pfotenhauer

EL3632

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 265
  • Respect: +216
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 06:24:35 PM »
0
I model the EL and D&H, and those are the railroads I like. NS and CP both have units painted in these schemes already, and those are fine by me, as they are original units painted in their original paint schemes.
If I was doing more modern engines, it would be cool to see ES44s in EL's Maroon/Yellow/Gray scheme and D&H Lightning Stripe; but it would also be interesting to see those same units in EL Black/Yellow and D&H Blue Dip.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »
+1
For me it would be simple.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This unit is still in service.

Mark


taholmes160

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 61
  • Respect: +2
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »
0
Mark, Both of those are beauties!!

TIM

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4055
  • Respect: +2386
    • My website
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 10:14:34 PM »
+2
That's easy.  It would be the Seaboard System (as if the CSX merger never occurred), and the heritage schemes would include, but not be limited to, the following predecessor railroads:

1. Atlantic Coast Line (purple and silver scheme);
2. Seaboard Air Line (Pullman green and yellow scheme);
3. Seaboard Coast Line (black and yellow scheme);
4. L&N;
5. Clinchfield;
6. Georgia Railroad;
7. Gainesville Midland;
8. Atlanta & West Point;
9. Western Railway of Alabama; and
10. Do one of the roads in the Family Lines scheme.

Thankfully, I get to plausibly run some of these schemes on my layout, because not all of it made it into Seaboard System paint by even the time of the CSX merger.

As for power, if it was modern era, my choice would be an SD70MAC (although I know it's now out of production).

DFF

Dave, while admittedly not on modern equipment, I already have modeled most everything on your list since I model CSX 1986-2000.
Here's your list with my comments:
1. Atlantic Coast Line (purple and silver scheme);      I did this one because ACL #501 was serviced in Waycross and thus ran on CSX for a few days
2. Seaboard Air Line (Pullman green and yellow scheme);   (sadly, no CSX in this one)
3. Seaboard Coast Line (black and yellow scheme);       lots
4. L&N;    Lots
5. Clinchfield;    a good handful and in 2 schemes
6. Georgia Railroad;  a couple
7. Gainesville Midland;    sadly- nothing.
8. Atlanta & West Point;    a couple
9. Western Railway of Alabama; and  a couple
10. Do one of the roads in the Family Lines scheme.    lots

This is why I love the era I chose.   I can model 100 paint schemes (counting all variations) by modeling Pre-millenial CSX
(I quite at the Conrail merger).

Oh..... and back to you heritage list as stated....
You left some off!

How about......
Monon
NC&StL

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:23:30 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 10:39:30 PM »
0
For me it would be simple.

(Attachment Link)

This unit is still in service.

Mark

Good choice, but for those of us who are not NW fans, what is it?
Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 11:11:18 PM »
0
Dave, while admittedly not on modern equipment, I already have modeled most everything on your list since I model CSX 1986-2000.
Here's your list with my comments:
1. Atlantic Coast Line (purple and silver scheme);      I did this one because ACL #501 was serviced in Waycross and thus ran on CSX for a few days
2. Seaboard Air Line (Pullman green and yellow scheme);   (sadly, no CSX in this one)
3. Seaboard Coast Line (black and yellow scheme);       lots
4. L&N;    Lots
5. Clinchfield;    a good handful and in 2 schemes
6. Georgia Railroad;  a couple
7. Gainesville Midland;    sadly- nothing.
8. Atlanta & West Point;    a couple
9. Western Railway of Alabama; and  a couple
10. Do one of the roads in the Family Lines scheme.    lots

This is why I love the era I chose.   I can model 100 paint schemes (counting all variations) by modeling Pre-millenial CSX
(I quite at the Conrail merger).

Oh..... and back to you heritage list as stated....
You left some off!

How about......
Monon
NC&StL
Ron,

D'oh!  Definitely add the Monon and the NC&StL!  There's probably other small roads that I missed, too.

As for the Gainesville Midland, the former GM No. 10 almost made it to CSX in an SAL scheme.  But, there's photographic evidence that it did make it to the SBD in this scheme.  Cheat it a year or two, and you killed two birds with one stone (SAL and GM)!  ;)

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4131117

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3848
  • Respect: +1595
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 11:13:30 PM »
0
Good choice, but for those of us who are not NW fans, what is it?

Looks like an SD40-2, long hood forward
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 11:33:49 PM »
0
Looks like an SD40-2, long hood forward

Yup, and the Southern unit behind it is an FP7.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »
0
Good choice, but for those of us who are not NW fans, what is it?

Sure it's an SD40-2, by why is it in Tuscan rather than black? I saw a few NW passenger Geeps in Tuscan during the hamburger logo era, but what's this one about?
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1322
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 12:46:01 AM »
0
Ex Missabe SD38-2s for mainline power, Ex-MILW SDL39s for branchlines. Ex MILW MP15ACs in the yards. The dream team of classic EMD power.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 12:53:40 AM »
0
Sure it's an SD40-2, by why is it in Tuscan rather than black? I saw a few NW passenger Geeps in Tuscan during the hamburger logo era, but what's this one about?

That was the scheme applied to No. 6175 and several C30-7s from 1978 through 1981 in what is known as the F-6b paint scheme.  May have been short lived, but there is precedent.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Ike the BN Freak

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1639
  • Respect: +119
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 01:46:33 AM »
0
Being I model BN 92-94ish, they already did the heritage units for me, Pacific Pride and Pacific Pride II, a GP38 and 38-2 respectively...I got the 38, probably do the -2 as a summer project, its almost at that point where its too hot outside to do much of anything

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
0
Sure it's an SD40-2, by why is it in Tuscan rather than black? I saw a few NW passenger Geeps in Tuscan during the hamburger logo era, but what's this one about?

This unit was commonly used for director's specials (business trains). All of the C30-7s that were in this scheme are gone (8010, 8076-8080). Some of them lasted in red until the late 80s.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/215201/

Mark


C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 09:13:10 AM »
0
This unit was commonly used for director's specials (business trains). All of the C30-7s that were in this scheme are gone (8010, 8076-8080). Some of them lasted in red until the late 80s.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/215201/

Cool. Living on the West Coast then, my time trackside with the N&W was very limited; but even then officer specials tend to evade the local guys. But it does better explain why NS's engineering "bricks" are Tuscan.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.