Author Topic: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?  (Read 3918 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

keeper

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1109
  • Too many thoughts...
  • Respect: +420
Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »
0
Let's assume you would like to do your own heritage fleet of railroads you like.
What loco would you use?
And what road would you do?

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

taholmes160

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 61
  • Respect: +2
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
0
The Locomotives would be Big Modern units, as far as roads, San Luis and Rio Grande (red and gold), Red and Silver War Bonnets, Blue and Gold War Bonnets, Current BNSF, Current UP, Southern Pacific (Bloody Nose), Southern (Green Livery), Green BN Probably a few others as well

TIM

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »
+1
T4 Gevo in Big Sky Blue.
GP60M in BM McGinnis.
A BNSF warbonnet in pumpkin colors (orange face of course)
Seaboard and Family Lines SD70MAC pair.
BAR SDL39 (always seemed like an appropriate engine for them)
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

brokemoto

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Respect: +296
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
0
I am assuming modern era for this.  As I live about two hundred yards from the Baltimore and Ohio Metropolitan Sub, I would use what I see, which are those GEs with the funny shaped cab and the funny looking radiator on the Number Two end.  This is far out of my modelling era, but, as we are discussing "heritage".

B&O Blue and Grey.
B&O 1959 scheme.
P&LE pacemaker Green Lightning Stripes (CSX did buy out P&LE).
There is a GP-30 in B&O "Sunburst" that frequently operates in this area, so I might have that one, as well.

u18b

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4055
  • Respect: +2386
    • My website
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
+5
My heritage fleet would all be U18Bs.    :D

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

keeper

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1109
  • Too many thoughts...
  • Respect: +420
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
0
My heritage fleet would all be U18Bs.    :D

Of course!  :D

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

keeper

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1109
  • Too many thoughts...
  • Respect: +420
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
0
Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I was thinking modern era.

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6435
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4951
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »
+1
NS already did all of mine...  :trollface: :trollface:
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

cec209

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +59
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 11:24:55 AM »
0
NS already did all of mine...  :trollface: :trollface:

I agree. Now all I need is the $$ to collect them all.
Charlie
Charlie

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 12:06:04 PM »
+1
That's easy.  It would be the Seaboard System (as if the CSX merger never occurred), and the heritage schemes would include, but not be limited to, the following predecessor railroads:

1. Atlantic Coast Line (purple and silver scheme);
2. Seaboard Air Line (Pullman green and yellow scheme);
3. Seaboard Coast Line (black and yellow scheme);
4. L&N;
5. Clinchfield;
6. Georgia Railroad;
7. Gainesville Midland;
8. Atlanta & West Point;
9. Western Railway of Alabama; and
10. Do one of the roads in the Family Lines scheme.

Thankfully, I get to plausibly run some of these schemes on my layout, because not all of it made it into Seaboard System paint by even the time of the CSX merger.

As for power, if it was modern era, my choice would be an SD70MAC (although I know it's now out of production).

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

kscessandriver

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 286
  • Respect: +59
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »
0
I agree. Now all I need is the $$ to collect them all.
Charlie

If you look around, you can find some of them at reasonable prices these days, especially the ACe's. I don't think $80 for a DC locomotive is an unreasonable price.

But yes, to get the entire fleet is quite the $$$. I'm down to only needed a couple more ES44s to complete the NS heritage units.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19623
  • Respect: +6939
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
0
Atlantic & Great Western 4-4-0's in 6' gauge.  :trollface:

keeper

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1109
  • Too many thoughts...
  • Respect: +420
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
0
Here is my own list. As I'm a big passenger train fan, I'll divide the list in passenger and freight units.

Passenger fleet:
C&NW
MILW
GN orange/green and BSB
CB&Q
AC

Type: Bombardier ALP-45DP

Freight fleet:
C&NW
MILW
SOO white/red
DM&IR
BN green/black w. white face
DSS&A
NP
GN orange/green and BSB

Type: SD70ACe or ES44

As a one off, because this road is still around, a SD90MAC for the LS&I. They were never fond of EMD power, but I really like this big brute.

Thomas  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:43:34 PM by keeper »
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
0
Modelling the 1974 BN, much of my fleet is "heritage units"!  Except for the CB&Q, the BN at that time had F7As from all of the main predecessors, GN, NP, and SP&S, and repainting one for the CB&Q wouldn't be hard.  They did inherit one Q unit, but it was traded in on a new loco almost immediately.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Your own heritage fleet: what would you use?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
0
I'd get a bunch of U36-Bs and do one each for ICG (in both the orange and white and grey and white schemes), MOPAC, KCS (even though they didn't get GE products until around 2000), NOPB, UP, Seaboard System, L&N, Green Bay & Western, Conrail, and FEC.  Just cause I could.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.