Author Topic: Printing window frames?  (Read 3318 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Printing window frames?
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:04:57 AM »
+1
Has anybody played around with creating custom window frames with their printer. My next building project is an interlocking tower that had some odd 3 pane double hung windows. Nothing comes close from Tichy or Grant line. I really don't want to have to build 30 windows to start this model. This seems perfect for printing but they will be such fine pieces, not sure how they will hold up.

Figured I would print directly on the build plate and then wash and cure on the plate to give them the best chance not to deform before I pop them loose.

Here is the building... [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Tony Hines

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Printing window frames?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 12:26:22 AM »
Yes.

That was a test run. After minor tuning they worked amazingly well.

What's wrong with doing 30 at a time? A rejected batch might cost you a few pennies in resin, but 1 or 30 will take the same amount of print time.

More advice and examples of window printing in this thread: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47887.0

Oh... DO NOT print directly on the build plate for small parts like this, the added exposure time of the first layers, required to adhere the prints to the plate, will "bloom" everything and you won't get the results you want. Manually place supports on a normal raft per Rodney's @rodsup9000 example in that thread for best outcome.

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 12:33:58 AM »
Thank you, and I meant making 30 by hand one at a time vs printing 30 in one shot.

I didn't think about the long exposure for the start. OK, Raft and supports it is. I was mainly thinking of sag issues but then again, these are pretty small so it should not be a big deal.
Tony Hines

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:41:25 AM »
I use 0.05 layer thickness and can print freight cars with windows that don't sag.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
That tower looks very B&Oish, but the keystone on the "Loveland" sign is throwing me.  What is the story on that photo.

Also, if you get those windows to look right, I would like to buy several to kit bash a model I have.

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
That tower looks very B&Oish, but the keystone on the "Loveland" sign is throwing me.  What is the story on that photo.

Also, if you get those windows to look right, I would like to buy several to kit bash a model I have.

You are right in both cases. The interlocking is between PRR and B&O in Loveland Ohio. I haven't got the full story but it appears to have been jointly operated by both railroads. The picture is taken looking down the B&O tracks toward the bridges over the little Miami River. There are very few pictures of the tower from the 50's. Most are from the 70's at the end of its life.
Tony Hines

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »
Most towers are partly owned by both railroad. Something like 51%/49% and they would share any maintenance costs. 

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
That is a B&O train order board sticking out from the upper windows toward the B&O tracks, so this is the view that a B&O engineer would see approaching the tower.  So, I would expect to see some B&O telegraph call letter sign posted in the tower window facing the photographer.  Do you know what tower designation that was?

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »
This tower is quite similar to the PRR tower that was at Worthington, Ohio (PRR/Big Four (NYC) but without those odd windows.

Some history on the tower here: http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/utility/display_html.php?color_primary=99&color_secondary=176&color_text=173+%28should+often+be+173+WHITE+or+176+BLACK%29&header_photo=gg-n%26w-43-270.jpg&htmltitle=Worthington&file=.%2Flive%2F05Steam_Railroads%2F35Towers_and_More%2FWorthington+Tower.htm

A local railfan made cad files at 1:1 and then scaled down to 0 scale, which I then scaled down to N.  This was an early attempt at printing and one of my first attempts to add details, but I think it turned out not too bad.

Cheers,

Bob

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »
+2
Are those really triple paned windows on the Loveland tower?  Or do they just appear that way because they're open?

After looking at Bob's Worthington towr photo, it appears that Loveland tower has the same windows, they're just opened and so appear to be tripled paned.  Looks to me like the 1st and 3rd windows are open (and hence appear tiple paned) where the 2nd & 4th are closed (and therefore only look double paned).  First 2 windows on the left side of the tower also appear opened.

Tim

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:13:27 AM »
Are those really triple paned windows on the Loveland tower?  Or do they just appear that way because they're open?

After looking at Bob's Worthington towr photo, it appears that Loveland tower has the same windows, they're just opened and so appear to be tripled paned.  Looks to me like the 1st and 3rd windows are open (and hence appear tiple paned) where the 2nd & 4th are closed (and therefore only look double paned).  First 2 windows on the left side of the tower also appear opened.

Tim

Not sure why I didn't see that till now. I think you are right. They are double pane, just 1/3 top pane, 2/3 bottom pane, so opened they look like triple.

Here is another shot of it sneaking out from behind the railroad hotel.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Tony Hines

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 01:35:21 AM »
Many towers had the top part of windows painted over to keep the sun out of your eyes.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
You are right in both cases. The interlocking is between PRR and B&O in Loveland Ohio. I haven't got the full story but it appears to have been jointly operated by both railroads. The picture is taken looking down the B&O tracks toward the bridges over the little Miami River. There are very few pictures of the tower from the 50's. Most are from the 70's at the end of its life.

I believe that typically, the later railroad to arrive at a crossing was responsible for building and operating the interlocking.  I would assume that the B&O tracks were established first, the PRR or predecessor came later and it was their responsibility to provide the interlocking and tower, hence the PRR tower sign.