Author Topic: Let's see your MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 engines!  (Read 700 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Let's see your MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 engines!
« on: July 12, 2022, 10:58:01 AM »
+1
Score at my local hobby shop (Roy’s Model Trains in Colorado Springs)! A newer-edition HOn3 MDC outside-frame 2-8-0. This version has the nickel silver wheels, the flywheel motor, and the plastic sides for the frame (makes lowering the boiler easier!). I may try to use the stock motor as-is. Not building this for a while yet, but I plan to upgrade it with LED lighting, Soundtraxx DCC/sound, and a current keeper like the last one I did.

Further investigation shows that the motor on this version--rather than being screwed directly to the zamak frame like the original design--is isolated on a plastic bracket. DCC should be very straightforward!

Let's see your MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 2-8-0s! Having just scored another outside-framed kit yesterday, I'm looking for some inspiration! I've already done one as D&RGW C-25 #375 (the lowest-hanging fruit, LOL) and then added Soundtraxx Tsunami2 sound and a current keeper. I'm all over the place between doing this new kit as-is (a not-very accurate D&RGW #361), Silverton Northern 34 (lots and lots of work necessary here to still miss the mark by quite a bit), or a San Juan Central engine (I still have two more SJC sunrise herald decals left). I'd love to see what you've done with yours...please share below! Here's my 375 kitbash:

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Let's see your MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 engines!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 12:24:56 PM »
i had a few of those kits, though not the narrowed version [straight HO] and while they did take more to put together than an ordinary plastic kit, the end result was worth the time and bother ...