Author Topic: Queensbridge Road Wharf  (Read 7034 times)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
Re: Queensbridge Road Wharf
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »
Gareth,

It looks great.  The rounded corner is a fantastic detail.  I did notice that the panes in both lower windows on either side of the doorway seem to be distorted.

Scott

I think they got squished while being glued. I need to cut them out, reprint them, and try again. The rest of the windows are straight though. It had been bothering me.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 06:27:00 PM »
It is a wonderful model, but the white putty is a bit distracting - I can't wait to see it painted.
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
It is a wonderful model, but the white putty is a bit distracting - I can't wait to see it painted.

Me too! But I have a habit of priming models before they're quite ready, so I'm trying to hold off....

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
Really nice scene.  Having visited the London waterfront for the first time this past summer, I was fascinated by the remnants of the old industrial sites still evident among the tourist traps and new construction.  I'd say you've nailed it.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
+3
I've now replaced the window with the broken mullion. In addition to that, all the other details have been taken care of an initial painting has been done. I used a whitemetal crane from Scalelink. In person its a little chunkier than the prototype but I still like how it looks. I added two platforms for the upper storey doors. I think that one of them should have been modelled up, but they're quite firmly glued now. Good think I've got several other similar buildings still to make. The downpipe is 1/16" brass tube with a curve put in at the end. It fits the look I was after.

I've also been working on the road in front of the warehouse. Getting the pavement at the right height relative to the building and the roadway at the right height to clear the trains at the back was more challenging than it should have been. In the end the building had to be raised about 1/2" off the baseboard. But the overall effect is correct and that's what matters. I had been procrastinating on the road because I didn't want to press all those setts, but then it occured to me that I could use Wills sheet for most of it and only make clay setts at the corner. I think I will employ this technique in the yard as well. If a sheet can be used whole, I'll use it. If I have to trim it then I'll use clay instead. That should speed things up without compromising the appearance.

While its too new for the layout the Bentley was the only vehicle I had to hand. Its an Oxford Diecast model and rather heavy handed. The WO Bentley Memorial Foundation are in the process of sending me some factory drawings so that I can make better models, but that's the subject for a future thread.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
Beautiful!  I love that ornate crane too. It fits the scene perfectly.

BTW those pane-dividers in windows are called muntins, not mullions.  Some hobbyist must have started using that incorrect term years ago, and it somehow stuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullion

. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread.  The craftsmanship on display is top-notch.  Also, I'm a bit of an Anglophile.  When it comes to railroading outside of North America I'm usually not as interested, but British steam-era railroading is something awesome in its own right.  The handsome proportions and clean lines of British steam locomotives stand in harsh contrast to the perhaps more utilitarian but also generally more cluttered-looking locomotives of mainland Europe.  Just my opinion...your milage may vary.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
This very cool. 8)  Subject and the modelling of it.

The prototype pictures have the flavor of Savannah GA riverfront. :)
Mark G.

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2021, 04:38:19 PM »
+2
Reinspired, I have returned to this layout. As previously seen I had started the building on the left hand end. Unfortunately I haven't worked out the ideal solution to the road/backscene interface and that had been mentally preventing me from working on the buildings in that area. So I have moved to the other end. I purchased two kits from JS Models, and had them custom made in brick rather than the usual stone. One is perfect for what I had envisioned, and the other will do. They both fit the scene and are very quick to assemble. With those assembled I started work on the building in the corner. This is a railway owned warehouse with an arch under it to allow access to the yard from the street behind. Next to it will be a London Hydraulic Company accumulator tower, helping to avoid all the roofs being the same height and giving me an opportunity to dive into the history of this fascinating company.

I have long planned on having a narrowboat at the front of the layout, but I recently discovered that some Thames sailing barges were narrow enough to be used on Regent's Canal, so I'm going to have one of those instead. I bought a very inexpensive vacuum formed kit for one, advertised as "OO 1/72 Scale". It fits the width available perfectly, although it will take a lot of work to make a good model out of it. Does necessitate needing to look through something to see the trains, in this case masts and rigging, which is an element I enjoy in layout design. The masts will almsot certainly require a return to some sort of automatic coupling, AJs most likely, since I won't want to put my arm through there to undo the 3 links...