Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/12/20  (Read 11713 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Weekend Update 4/12/20
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
I discovered a video on YouTube a while ago showing the south end of the Sacramento Northern in TrainSimulator.  After recently getting a new computer, I decided to take the BootCamp plunge, and I've been running trains over the Bay Bridge, and over Horseshoe Curve for the last week.  I know there have been debates about the merits of virtual railroading here before, so I'll keep it to two photos that have a direct nexus to TRW.  First, a couple of K4's hauling a coal train (I know... I didn't build the scenario, I just ran it) up to the Portage Tunnel at Gallitzin.

This is the same spot where back in 2011 (jeez, that long ago) I went gooning with a couple of other  :ashat:'s.

Also, given my alternate history, you know I had to run a GG1 on the Sacramento Northern. Coming through Walnut Creek, there is a long passing siding that gives a reasonable impression of what this area might have looked like with a double-tracked PRR.  Of course, the infrastructure would have been a bit more robust, but it's still an interesting glimpse.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »
@coldriver, wow, what a difference a little extra acreage makes in the scenery to track ratio!
Looks just great! You’ve given me some ideas...
Otto K.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
+15
Supplemental entry: I made another working barber pole.

Can you spot my faux pas?

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
+16
Nice work everyone, especially enjoying the updates on the layouts this weekend!

I'm trying to be very disciplined and finish existing projects before starting new ones.

First up this week, I finished a batch of WM 55 ton U-channel hoppers. I 3d printed these at home on the photon, added grab irons, etched ladders, brake wheels, trucks, Tru-scale couplers and Intermountain metal wheels. The decals are from K4 decals and are AMAZING! I dunno who's putting these out but they have done a great job. Excellent print quality and fantastic decal film. I finished 4 this week and have 5 to go.

Before:

After:

I'm going to cycle over to some other projects this week to give myself a break from cutting out individual numbers. Up next are WM GP7 No. 22 and RS3 193. Both will utilize a number of 3d printed parts for the builds. The GP7 already has a 3d printed chop-nose cab and coupler boxes that use a modified MTL Tru Scale Coupler. I've added grab irons and horns, and still need to design mu stands. The only major component that hasn't been started is the smaller 1200 gallon fuel tank. 22 will eventually get sound, but right now I have everything on hand to finish the shell in black speed lettering.

RS3 193 was one of the WM's hammerhead RS3s which had a high short hood. The long hood on this model came from Skytop models, and the cab, high hood, and fuel tank were 3D printed by Shapeways. The new cab and battery boxes on this model will require custom hand rails, which is why I've been putting this model off for...years... I've also added the WM style drop step/mu stand/stanchion combo for the end railings. Still some refining to do on this design but it's getting close. I was able to print a boat-load of stanchions for the walkways and have the wire on hand to knock it out. Still to be done is to design a pocket for the Tru Scale Couplers. The one for the GP7 was close and provided a good start, but I also need to figure out a way to get one of WM's "rocker knocker" plows attached to the bottom of the coupler box. As the WM retired their steam locos, many of these plows found their way onto the first generation diesels. Its a cool look I hope to capture. 193 will also eventually get sound, but like 22, all materials are on hand to finish the shell. 193 will be painted into the fireball scheme.

The rocker knocker plow

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 02:35:12 PM »
Supplemental entry: I made another working barber pole.

Can you spot my faux pas?

Nice!
Is it rotating in the wrong direction (just guessing)?
Is this one also illuminated like the original one?
. . . 42 . . .

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
Nope ... the stripes on the pole should rise left to right rather than right to left

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
It needs a white ball on top, but the stripes are upside down... low on the left & high on the right.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2020, 02:51:13 PM »
Nope ... the stripes on the pole should rise left to right rather than right to left

Correct. But also, when the pole is rotating, the stripes should appear to descend, not ascend. Originally it represented blood flowing into a bowl, as barbers were also "doctors" way, way back.

It needs a white ball on top...

Not really. Only some poles had white balls. Here's a Marvy Model 55, one of the most popular barber poles, and the prototype for my model.

Is this one also illuminated like the original one?

No, regrettably--at 1/16" diameter, it's just too small.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:54:44 PM by DKS »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
Correct. But also, when the pole is rotating, the stripes should appear to descend, not ascend. Originally it represented blood flowing into a bowl, as barbers were also "doctors" way, way back.

No, regrettably--at 1/16" diameter, it's just too small.

Those are gruesome details I wasn't aware of.  :)
Can't you just reverse the polarity and have it spin in the other direction?

Any chances of you having taken photos during the construction (or providing more construction details)?  Someday I would like to try to imitate the master and build my own version. 
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »
Nice work everyone, especially enjoying the updates on the layouts this weekend!

I'm trying to be very disciplined and finish existing projects before starting new ones.

Yes, what a concept! That’s how things get done!
I wish I was capable of learning this essential skill. I get it in theory, but then I get excited about something and I get sidetracked and stray... :facepalm:
Very nice work, btw!

Well, let’s gather up some discipline and get back to work on Blue Cut...
Otto K.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »
Yes, what a concept! That’s how things get done!
I wish I was capable of learning this essential skill. I get it in theory, but then I get excited about something and I get sidetracked and stray... ...

I never could grasp the concept of serial beginning-to-end projects. The hundred-teen good ideas spread all over three four workbenches attest to that!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 04:42:08 PM »
Can't you just reverse the polarity and have it spin in the other direction?

That won't fix the fact that the stripes wrap around the pole the wrong way. No shortcuts for me: I need to make a new pole. But just the pole, nothing else. Fortunately it all comes apart.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
That is pretty darn clever Mark. Following your "Season in Hope" site, I know that you like quick-n-easy solutions. It's especially nice when they come out really well.

Thanks Peteski, but I'm confused. Who doesn't like quick-n-easy solutions?  :D

-Mark

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
+3
Building a new depot for my Minneapolis and St Louis themed layout. This type was used in several places on the Western Division in Minnesota on the line between Morton MN and Watertown SD. Here is a nice sharp photo, I believe after CNW take over.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I will be painting mine in the signature green used prior to that

Tom L
Wellington CO

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
Hi Andy:

Guessing that first shot is going to be your FSJ elevator track?

Tim

Yes that is the elevator track.  In retrospect I should have shifted it closer to the main yard to allow room for the actual elevator structures, but I can always place them on a removable aisle extension board. 
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com