Author Topic: Odd LokSound Select Micro Problem  (Read 714 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Odd LokSound Select Micro Problem
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:36:00 AM »
I have an original Select Micro installed in an N scale Kato P42 that was running perfectly prior to storing it for a couple months. Recently took it out and ran it again, to find that it developed an odd glitch or failure. It would be running along fine and sounding great, when it would suddenly switch into a really distorted, slow-motion-type sound. When this happens, the loco also becomes totally unresponsive to any other DCC commands but would keep running at the last speed step prior to the glitch occurrence (as in, you can't even stop it). Also when it happens, it is immediately preceded by what seems like a brief loss of power causing a sound hiccup and a light flicker. Thought it might be a dirty wheel issue and, after a cleaning, it initially seemed like it stopped or did it less, but it still continues intermittently. I reloaded the sound file again and it still does it. I took the shell off and can't see any obvious problems or sources of shorts. Never had anything like this happen with any of my other LokSound installs. Ideas? Anyone else ever experience this type of glitch/failure?

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: Odd LokSound Select Micro Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
Have no idea, but check solder connections?  Might not be shorts, but maybe either a cold or weak joint, that might have gotten some corrosion started during the non-use period?  Just a thought
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4603
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
Or it could indicate that some component(s) on the decoders have "flaked out"  (a highly technical term).  :)  In short, you might have to send it to to ESU for repair/exchange.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
Thanks, guys! I tend to agree that a component might indeed be failing. Out of several LokSound installs I've done, this is the only one that has ever exhibited this behavior.

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
If you have the ESU programmer I would try down loading a different sound file and see if the problem goes away.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:07 AM »
Yep, tried that already.