Author Topic: Challenge #5 - A Small Tehachapi Photo Diorama (large photos)  (Read 876 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
Re: Challenge #5 - A Small Tehachapi Photo Diorama (large photos)
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 05:05:38 PM »
The whole package, rail included, makes a pretty realistic representation of a loco on a railroad track. :)

That sums up what I was going for - to try to remove (as practically possible) the 'giveaways', i.e. the visual cues that contribute to the observer's brain deciding, 'hey, this must be a model that I am looking at'.  Overall I don't think it's really much of a departure from most common modeling practices, rather it is a matter of materials selections and some additional effort (for example, to sift the ballast and soil materials with a finer screen, and to apply them in some extra layers).

Like you say tho, the approach needs to be 'whole package' in order to be effective.  Every overscale element will diminish the effect.  For example, I originally wired the line poles with EZ Line (fine), but it looked almost indistinguishable from the 0.008" wire (the heavier bottom lines) and seemed too heavy to my eye.  So I switched to the fly silk thread, and while I don't know the exact dimensions of it, it is small enough to give the effect that I wanted.

You've really nailed the look of the exposed boulders in the upper Pass, both on the rise and (with more subtlety) in the cut.  Could you say a bit about how you went about that?

Sure, those are the packaged rocks from AZRM (Apache Stone, I believe) in two of their available sizes.  Most are glued in place with the standard scenery glue, but also some of the larger ones were pressed into the Sculptamold while it was still soft.   I painted them first with a thinned coat of my scenery base color (which is too dark, so I'm planning to change it) and afterwards applied some very thin washes of water-mixable oil paints to give them some color variation and depth.  Powder pigments can also be used in places.   The rocks in the cut are similarly done, with a bit of extra Sculptamold in between, and dusted with a light layer of soil dust to give it some texture.  In some spots I overdid it and obscured some of the detail, and I should have planned it a little better to create the definition that I wanted (in this case, that means more of a rock-ish look rather than a dirt embankment look).

Ed
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:09:09 PM by ednadolski »

glakedylan

• Crew
  • lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi
  • Respect: +152
Re: Challenge #5 - A Small Tehachapi Photo Diorama (large photos)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
simply fantastic!
super job on this module
so very realistic
wow!

sincerely
Gary