Author Topic: Wiring PRR Position Ligth signal to work with a rotary switch (bulb and LED)  (Read 2189 times)

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +637
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
As for the wire, I don't have a layout so I don't buy large quantities of wire.  I buy mine at a local electronic surplus store.  Also, 20 AWG seems a bit heave for using it to hook up signals.  It is also rather stiff and hard to deal with.  I recommend going to a Home Depot (or similar store) and buying either telephone cable (with 4 conductors) or an Internet (CAT5 or similar) cable (with 8 conductors).  Then just remove the outer jacket and you now have bunch of wire.  Or keep it in the jacket for long runs, to make the wiring neater (each conduction is color-coded for easy identification).  That wire is smaller than 20AWG (probably 24 or 26AWG), but perfect for signaling.

1) I am more interested in it being solid (not stranded) so that I can use it for the mini-breadboards.

2) Now can you come up with a simple solution for the thread: Topic: How Can I? - DC Directional Sectional Block Alignment Without Block Sensors! :-)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:35:29 PM by rickb773 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4584
    • Coming (not so) soon...
1) I am more interested in it being solid (not stranded) so that I can use it for the mini-breadboards.

2) Now can you come up with a simple solution for the thread: Topic: How Can I? - DC Directional Sectional Block Alignment Without Block Sensors! :-)

1.  What I recommend is all solid wire.  Actually I made breadboard jumpers using the telephone wire I mentioned.

2. No, I do not see a simple solution for that request. All I see are fairly complex involving either logic circuits or microcontrollers.
. . . 42 . . .

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +637
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
Done.  Felt like a kid again.

What's next Obi Wan Peteski?    :D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4584
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Looks good Rick!
As for what's next, your imagination is the limit (within reason of course).  :)
. . . 42 . . .