Author Topic: Atlas GP30 Question  (Read 2802 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Atlas GP30 Question
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »
Someone probably said oh look, N scale can now have a couple of those little safety lights that illuminate near the trucks/steps.  At least for the front set  :facepalm:

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »
Covering up the sides and top of the LED with a small piece of electrical tape works quite well. Little to no light shines out the windows now and the headlight and number boards are still plenty bright. So, not much more than a minor annoyance. And hell, there are probably people who like having the cab all lit up and will consider it a new feature, lol.

Thanks,
-Mark

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
Good to hear the tape trick worked!!
Jon
;)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »
So, did these come and go already? I see they were very recently listed at MBK and are now at zero.

I think so. I snost and lost on a PRR sound one. I'm mildly annoyed. I'm hoping for a restock.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
I think so. I snost and lost on a PRR sound one. I'm mildly annoyed. I'm hoping for a restock.

According to MBK's site as of 30 seconds ago they have two left of #2198. Betta move fast!

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »

Hog Trains still has some including PRR.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 12:18:04 AM »
I presently have no GP30s in my fleet, which I regret deeply.   But I'm holding out for some old Atlas Rocos!  I can get two dozen of them for the cost of one of these, the cab won't glow, and it won't need a sound system!

The joys of retro collecting...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 11:39:22 PM »
I presently have no GP30s in my fleet, which I regret deeply.   But I'm holding out for some old Atlas Rocos!  I can get two dozen of them for the cost of one of these, the cab won't glow, and it won't need a sound system!

The joys of retro collecting...
Lee

@wm3798   Lee, like these?

This one is unsullied, includes factory original Rapido ("industry standard" as a friend of mine likes to call them) couplers.

This one has had the coupler boxes cut off and smoothed out.  There are holes drilled for MT couplers but for some reason I never attached them

Want 'em?  They'd have to be repainted...

I also have a few of these babies, ready for the right owner to walk off with a real steal!

One owner!  Never driven at all, not even by a little old lady on Sunday!
Available for the low, low price of PM me your address!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:21:22 AM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 10:19:57 AM »
+1
Covering up the sides and top of the LED with a small piece of electrical tape works quite well. Little to no light shines out the windows now and the headlight and number boards are still plenty bright. So, not much more than a minor annoyance. And hell, there are probably people who like having the cab all lit up and will consider it a new feature, lol.

Thanks,
-Mark

Makes modeling a Terminator style time travel arrival scene much easier, and as a bonus you won't lose your engine inside a tunnel.
Peter Pfotenhauer

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
@wm3798   Lee, like these?

This one is unsullied, includes factory original Rapido ("industry standard" as a friend of mine likes to call them) couplers.

This one has had the coupler boxes cut off and smoothed out.  There are holes drilled for MT couplers but for some reason I never attached them

Want 'em?  They'd have to be repainted...

I also have a few of these babies, ready for the right owner to walk off with a real steal!

One owner!  Never driven at all, not even by a little old lady on Sunday!
Available for the low, low price of PM me your address!

Years ago I had gotten two of those 30s, and two GP9s in a swap when I was a teenager.  (Don't tell my brother, but he lost an HO Atlas SD24 in the deal)
Eventually I had JnJ repower the 30s with a Kato motor, and I repainted them into B&O.  I have no recollection what became of the 9s, but there's still a carcass of a drive in my parts box.

I may even have the truck frames to restore the factory coupler boxes.  I had converted mine to In the Box MT conversions.

I'll hit you in the back channel to see what arrangments might be made...
Lee
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:03:50 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »
Years ago I had gotten two of those 30s, and two GP9s in a swap when I was a teenager.  (Don't tell my brother, but he lost an HO Atlas SD24 in the deal)
Eventually I had JnJ repower the 30s with a Kato motor, and I repainted them into B&O.  I have no recollection what became of the 9s, but there's still a carcass of a drive in my parts box.

@wm3798
Lee, I found two GP9's also when I dug these out...

One of the FA-1's still has the "Train Master" gold sticker on the box indicating they had test run it to make sure it was good.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
Back to the cab illumination problem...

I just received my non-DCC version and dropped a LokPilot into it. The stray light everywhere appears to be the nature of the beast even with the black plastic light block. Mark's ( @spookshow ) mod is the easiest end game here.