Author Topic: Cheap N Loads  (Read 1139 times)

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
Cheap N Loads
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:53:28 PM »
+2
Over the last couple of months, I picked up about 25 Galoob SnoCats, a dozen MT Abrams, 6 resin APCs (all 1/160th), plus 4 ARFFs (1/150th), and a few boxes of Dragon US Military (1/144th).  The 1/150th ARFFs needed removal of Japanese text from sides (but look scale), and the 1/144th need reworking as way to big for N. I find most can be had at a much lower cost than Shapeways produced units, and with some work, make great loads. The SnoCats needed their frames narrowed, and the MRLS Rocket Units in 1/44th can be altered to resemble NODWELL and HUSKY tracked units. Very easy projects, with some converted in about 5 minutes.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Cheap N Loads
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:17:23 PM »
+5
Nice!  I loves me some cheap flatcar and gon loads.

One of my faves:  I took all those shims, sprues and bolsters you get with MT trucks but never use, and made a scrap load!  I made a form with some wax paper or foil (can't remember) filled it with white glue, then threw in all the crap from the bits and pieces box.  Quick coat of rusty primer and some washes of grime, and instant gondola load!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:24:05 PM »
Are those genuine Roco / Postage Stamp / Model Power 50’ (Covered) Gondolas or the much-aligned Aurora Mexico copies?  Other than the trucks and molded in brake wheels they are no worse than the originals...Nice job!
Charlie Vlk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:36:24 PM by ncbqguy »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5402
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
Pretty sure they were original Postage Stamp.  I believe they were the fabled green Western Maryland cars.  They had made their way into the WM fleet at some point, having bought a bunch of "WM Freight Car Lot" deals to get a few other cars I wanted/needed.  I found a home for them under some fresh paint on the Laurel Valley.  I had planned a big scrap facility at Latrobe ( think there is/was actually one there) for them to serve.  I had a fleet of 5 or six of them, but have sold off all but two.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net