Author Topic: Simulated Nut Punch  (Read 2172 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Simulated Nut Punch
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »
Has anyone used this tool?  If so, could we get a description of its use and how well it works?  Materials it's made from.  It seems that the smallest nut size is .5mm (.020").  It also looks like it's dependent on the characteristics of the thin lead sheet that they furnish with it.  I'm a bit interested but that's a little steep to try on a whim. :)  Thanks.

https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-rolling-and-forming-tools/products/sms009-the-nutter-set-model-nuts-and-rivets-tool
Mark G.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Simulated Nut Punch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
+1
Meh, clickbait topic..... I thought this was some kind of party drink....  :trollface:

Ed

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »
+4

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
I have the RPToolz rivet maker which looks very similar.  I suppose if you needed a large quantity of simulated nuts or bolt heads, that would be one approach.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 11:25:58 PM »
Not the thread I thought it would be from the title.  :facepalm:
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 12:41:30 AM »
Not the thread I thought it would be from the title.  :facepalm:

I was also thinking more in line of what Dave V posted, but with all the people getting easily offended on TRW, I held back.
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3130
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:13 AM »
+1
Unfortunately, their material does not look thick enough for a real nut in those sizes, IMHO.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
+1
I was also thinking more in line of what Dave V posted, but with all the people getting easily offended on TRW, I held back.

You going soft on us in your 20,000s?   :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »

Likewise, but I backed off as well.

Maybe tho we need a thread about how to avoid clickbait thread titles.   :trollface:

Ed
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:24:02 PM by ednadolski »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 11:53:38 AM »
+1
You going soft on us in your 20,000s?   :D

So to speak...   :scared:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:55:16 AM by Dave V »

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
So I'll take these replies as a "No, I've not used the tool made to force pieces through a similarly shaped, close fitting hex shaped die, producing hex shaped pieces mimicking commonly used components in a fastening device utilizing the principles of an inclined plane radially displaced around a center with this feature arranged in two close fitting, interlocking components, matched in their incline angles, the hex shape affording a method to grip one of the matched pair to advance along the incline, which upon meeting an obstruction applies a force to that obstruction commensurate with the force applied through the corners of the hex shaped component." :D  This tool would afford a method of mimicking the hex shaped component in miniature for modelling purposes, simulating that device without having any of the internal features that would make it functional.

Now, if somebody can fit that in a title block... :P :D  Meanwhile, I think I'll be making a few punches and dies. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:15:59 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »
So to speak...   :scared:

LOL!

Yes, I guess I'm going soft and nutty during this crisis.  I might revert to my regular self later, but I also wouldn't want Dave V  and DKS leaving TRW  (again), due to something uncivil or offensive I wrote.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:
 :D
. . . 42 . . .

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
+1
So I'll take these replies as a "No, I've not used the tool made to force pieces through a similarly shaped, close fitting hex shaped die, producing hex shaped pieces mimicking commonly used components in a fastening device utilizing the principles of an inclined plane radially displaced around a center with this feature arranged in two close fitting, interlocking components, matched in their incline angles, the hex shape affording a method to grip one of the matched pair to advance along the incline, which upon meeting an obstruction applies a force to that obstruction commensurate with the force applied through the corners of the hex shaped component." :D  This tool would afford a method of mimicking the hex shaped component in miniature for modelling purposes, simulating that device without having any of the internal features that would make it functional.

Now, if somebody can fit that in a title block... :P :D  Meanwhile, I think I'll be making a few punches and dies. :)

Sounds like a patent application...
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
+2
I'll punch my own nuts at that price.
Rod.