Author Topic: The Very Last White River and Northern Railroad  (Read 58578 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Retired Modeler
  • Respect: +4964
    • David's Modeling Journey
Re: The Very Last White River and Northern Railroad
« Reply #930 on: November 15, 2020, 03:07:59 AM »
+16
Sorry for the long absence; had to break away from modeling to deal with some personal issues. Anyway, for a change of pace I've shifted my focus to scenery, specifically the stretch of river from the mill spillway down to the three bridges area. I'd envisioned this as a series of rapids cascading along a slab of solid bedrock, per this reference image.

I had a relatively flat piece of Cripplebush Valley rubber rock that was perfect for a riverbed, and I installed it on 12 November 2020 (above), along with some rugged rock faces along the edge of the firefly meadow.

After blending the rock pieces together with colored sanded grout (above), I painted and stained the rock faces (below).

Next, I added some rip-rap around the base of the falls to blend the finished portion of the mechanism into the surrounding scenery (above), and then sprinkled unscreened river rock onto the rest of the riverbed (below). I bonded it all in place by applying alcohol followed by diluted white glue.

When the river rock was set, I repainted the riverbed, then liberally applied India ink and Rustall washes (below).

With the riverbed complete, I brushed on two coats of thinned acrylic gloss medium (below left).

When this was dry (above right), I smeared on a layer of clear silicone caulk, then dry-brushed it with white acrylic paint where the water would be turbulent (below).

At that point, the entire riverbed was "wet" when some areas should have been dry, so I repainted and stained the dry surfaces. Finally, I added tiny plants to the dry areas, then added more vegetation to the rock faces. I declared this stretch of the White River done on 15 November 2020.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2908
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #931 on: November 15, 2020, 06:54:35 PM »
+1
Im going to come up with an excuse to come up and see you..  Covid or not.  I'll be in touch.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1655
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #932 on: November 15, 2020, 07:09:56 PM »
Im going to come up with an excuse to come up and see you..  Covid or not.  I'll be in touch.

Just a little out of the way to pick me up too?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +314
« Reply #933 on: November 15, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
I am assuming there are photos in David's last post that I am not seeing. Anyone else having this problem?
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3087
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #934 on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:13 PM »
+1
I am assuming there are photos in David's last post that I am not seeing. Anyone else having this problem?

If you use Chrome browser, see the three posts about the problem in the Admin section of the forum: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=11.0
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3595
« Reply #935 on: November 16, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
On my latest layout adventure the creek base is flat. I wanted to model larger boulders and tried to grind a flat spot on a few small rocks... Rocks are hard!  :|

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Retired Modeler
  • Respect: +4964
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #936 on: November 17, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
+1
On my latest layout adventure the creek base is flat. I wanted to model larger boulders and tried to grind a flat spot on a few small rocks... Rocks are hard!  :|

You can make rocks with built-in flat bottoms by mixing up a very thick batch of tinted plaster and dropping blobs of it on waxed paper.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +983
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 17, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
If you use Chrome browser, see the three posts about the problem in the Admin section of the forum: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=11.0

Thanks for posting this...this solved my issue that I posted about a few weeks ago.
Interesting that it was across different browsers for me, though. Either way, it's resolved. Pete, thanks for posting the link...DKS, thanks for posting the solution!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +336
« Reply #938 on: December 20, 2020, 09:10:06 PM »
OK, I changed my settings, and I can see the pictures in Chrome on my laptop.

But, now I have 2 reasons to feel insecure while looking at DKS's excellent work.  :o

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +893
« Reply #939 on: December 23, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »
looks great, very nicely done...