Author Topic: Testors discontinues Model Master products  (Read 14126 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: Testors discontinues Model Master products
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
Never a smart idea to deliberately try to puncture a pressure vessel.   Is the paint (or whatever) that's inside really worth it?

Ed

Decanting...

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=45599.0

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
While I don't condone it, lots of modelers are doing it. Some even have elaborate fixtures machined for that task. ...  And when the "squeze test" shows no or little pressure inside, it is quite safe to release the contents.

Yea, and we all laugh at the ridiculousness and irony of overzealous warning labels and Darwin awards....

Ed

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »
Thank you Ed - for some reason I never noticed those bold warnings.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
But it says contents under pressure. If you can squeeze it there is no long pressure.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »
So does this mean our Aztek airbrushes are now collectors items?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2020, 01:03:42 AM »
OK, so RPM bought Rust-Oleum, and now the cans are all labeled Rust-Oleum, instead of RPM.  Sort of like the D&RGW buying SP, then renaming the merged railroad SP?

For cans losing pressure, I have a Model Master can of "Go Mango" lacquer, used once, to spray a color sample.  I bought to substitute for Scalecoat Empire Builder Orange, but the SC came back on the market before I needed it.  I looked in my paint box the other day, and it has leaked.  Not out the top, but the seam between the side and the bottom leaked, leaving a nice ring of dried gunk around the seam.  Great can!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:07:21 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2020, 01:08:44 AM »
OK, so RPM bought Rust-Oleum, and now the cans are all labeled Rust-Oleum, instead of RPM.  Sort of like the D&RGW buying SP, then renaming the merged railroad SP?

RPM is just a parent (umbrella?) company for bunch of different brands.  There is no "RPM" brand.  If still you have some Floquil paints (even with the older Amsterdam, NY address), you will find a small RPM logo on those labels (even though they are still  Floquil).  The Wikipedia article I liked to lists the brands RPM owns.

This is similar to the food producing giants.  For example Mondelez Internationsl owns Belvita, Chips Ahoy!, Nabisco, Oreo, Ritz, TUC, Triscuit, LU, Club Social, Barny, and Peek Freans; chocolate brands Milka, Côte d'Or, Toblerone, Cadbury, Green & Black's, Freia, Marabou, Fry's, and Lacta; gum and cough drop brands Trident, Dentyne, Chiclets, Halls, and Stride; as well as Tate's Bake Shop and powdered beverage brand Tang.

They still use all those brand names, but on the back of the packaging, you will see the "we're Mondelez" labels.

Or like back in the '80s, Beatrice Foods owned bunch of food brands.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:14:08 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
"RPM is just a parent (umbrella?) company for bunch of different brands.  There is no "RPM" brand."

Yes, but as you also said, the containers had the actual brand name, and then a small "RPM" logo.  My newest can of Dullcote doesn't have any mention of RPM, just Rust-Oleum. 

An earlier can of Glosscote says "Testors an RPM company"  The Dullcote says "Rusto-Oleum Corporation", then, under that, "rustoleum.com/testors", with no mention of RPM.  That's why I wondered if RPM, the holding company, had renamed itself Rust-Oleum.

The front labels on both are identical, saying just "TESTORS/Spray Lacquer/Laca en Aerosol" and a bunch of warnings, although the new one has more extensive front-label warnings.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
"RPM is just a parent (umbrella?) company for bunch of different brands.  There is no "RPM" brand."

Yes, but as you also said, the containers had the actual brand name, and then a small "RPM" logo.  My newest can of Dullcote doesn't have any mention of RPM, just Rust-Oleum. 

An earlier can of Glosscote says "Testors an RPM company"  The Dullcote says "Rusto-Oleum Corporation", then, under that, "rustoleum.com/testors", with no mention of RPM.  That's why I wondered if RPM, the holding company, had renamed itself Rust-Oleum.

The front labels on both are identical, saying just "TESTORS/Spray Lacquer/Laca en Aerosol" and a bunch of warnings, although the new one has more extensive front-label warnings.

I think RPM International is still as it was. They are just probably doing some reshuffling of their brands, probably for tax reasons, or some other corporate mambo-jumbo.    Probably something like Testors is probably now a subsidiary of Rust-Oleum, which then is still one of the RPM companies.  Whatever maximizes profits . . .
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »
It's all in the annual report.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2020, 04:01:03 PM »
It's all in the annual report.

I'm sure, put personally I have other things I rather be doing. But if you read it, and are "in the know", I would like to see how close I was in my speculation.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
I'm sure, put personally I have other things I rather be doing. But if you read it, and are "in the know", I would like to see how close I was in my speculation.
My earlier reply (#33 on this thread).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
I am beyond pissed at this.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
I used a can of Dullcote yesterday and noticed it says "Rustoleum" on the back. I grabbed 3 other cans I had and they were the same except they said "Testors" in the same spot.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2020, 12:59:37 PM »
+1
the thing that troubles me, and yes it is quite minute considering the challenges
of these days, is that even rust-o-leum is not to be found on the shelves of the
local hardware and big box stores around here, especially in the specific colors
and finish one needs.
i had reconciled within myself that the waiting for scalecoat II to be delivered
meant settling for a spray can of black gloss just to continue some projects i
had started. but, no...not even walmart here has that in stock and amazon is
less than reasonable which cost and shipping.

if you are going to buy up or incorporate other lines within your umbrella of
retail sales, at least continue making then available.

it is difficult to surmise that gloss black in spray can form is without demand?

Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384