Author Topic: Posting Issue  (Read 2678 times)

TMatt253

• Crew
Posting Issue
« on: March 17, 2020, 12:07:22 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm doing this the right way or posting this in the right place, but I have tried to start a thread for my layout and have come up short 3 times. I've tried 3 times and it processes after I press submit, only to bring me to a blank topic page and my post has not posted. Perhaps my post needs to be approved by an admin or I'm doing something wrong. It's my first time so I apologize in advance for the inconvenience.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Trevor

CBQ Fan

• Crew
Re: Posting Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
Isn’t there a minimum number of posts required befoter you can create your own post?  Prevents spammers.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »
Isn’t there a minimum number of posts required befoter you can create your own post?  Prevents spammers.

I seem to recall that @tom mann turned on new member moderation for few of their posts.  But I'm not sure about that. Still, I wouldn't expect a blank page after hitting the "Post" button. I would  hope that it gives some ineo about the post needing to be approved by moderators.
. . . 42 . . .

TMatt253

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »
Ah thank you for the responses, perhaps that is it. I know that I can't add images to the gallery, so I was trying to add them as attachments, perhaps that was tripping me up as well. Again, I am new to this so I'm sure there's some stuff I don't know.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
Ah thank you for the responses, perhaps that is it. I know that I can't add images to the gallery, so I was trying to add them as attachments, perhaps that was tripping me up as well. Again, I am new to this so I'm sure there's some stuff I don't know.

Your post count is still at zero (and you made at least 2 posts here), so something funky is going on.  I guess we'll have to wait until Tom chimes in.
. . . 42 . . .

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »

It may be that posts here in the admin forum don’t count. Try making an introduction post over in the sticky thread in the N Scale forum.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

TMatt253

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:20:02 PM »
It may be that posts here in the admin forum don’t count. Try making an introduction post over in the sticky thread in the N Scale forum.

Thanks for the tip, I just posted in the intro sticky and it worked so I'm moving in the right direction!

Trevor

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »

That’s the right answer!

dcarrell8

• Crew
    • Otter Creek & Rio Grande
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »
I have tried to post on my own topic several times today and upload photos... nothing will post.  This is highly frustrating.  I know it's been a while (30 days or so) since I last updated my Engineering Report, do you get kicked out of being able to post after a certain number of days??

When I try and post, It opens a new blank topic page, like mentioned above by Tmatt253

~Dennis
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:40:42 PM by dcarrell8 »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »
I have tried to post on my own topic several times today and upload photos... nothing will post.  This is highly frustrating.  I know it's been a while (30 days or so) since I last updated my Engineering Report, do you get kicked out of being able to post after a certain number of days??

When I try and post, I opens a new blank topic page, like mentioned above by Tmatt253

~Dennis

Dennis, you are ale to post new message in this active thread.  What is the difference you are seeing when you try to post a new message to your other thread?  The process should be identical.   Maybe try posting a test photo to this thread, and report what you see.  Where are the photos hosted?  On some outside website, attachment to the post, or upload to the Railwire Gallery?
. . . 42 . . .

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
So I just attempted to post with a photo.
It won't let me. 

This time I just got a blank white screen.  Seems I can post just not upload photos, I'm pretty sure my photos are within the guidelines and formats... 5000KB

~Dennis

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 11:33:37 PM »
Got mine figured out...  file size was too big.  I never seem to remember which is bigger.. MB or KB. 

All seems to be good now
~Dennis

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:54 AM »
Got mine figured out...  file size was too big.  I never seem to remember which is bigger.. MB or KB. 

All seems to be good now
~Dennis

Good find.  Too bad the photo uploader doesn't show any type of an error.

M=Mega=million
k=kilo=thousand
1MB=1000kB

5000kB=5MB

Since I'm a control freak, I like to manually resize the photos I upload to the forum (I usually make them 1024 pixels across (or smaller).  Good size for viewing on the forum, and it will not make the forum's uploader choke.
. . . 42 . . .

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 12:19:28 AM »
Good find.  Too bad the photo uploader doesn't show any type of an error.

M=Mega=million
k=kilo=thousand
1MB=1000kB

5000kB=5MB

Since I'm a control freak, I like to manually resize the photos I upload to the forum (I usually make them 1024 pixels across (or smaller).  Good size for viewing on the forum, and it will not make the forum's uploader choke.

Good knowledge!  I will keep that in mind in all future posts.

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »
file size too big!

aha, could that be my problem also.  i've posted a photo or two in the past but yesterday and today i get the "white screen"

I'll try one photo and see what happens.

conrad