Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54518 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »
0
2. You Retired?  :D  You have more time and patience than I have right now..  :|

Yes, but not when I built those... that was 22 years ago.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »
0
Now Arriving at Retro Union Station, Track 2, the Crescent Limited.  Bound for Charlotte, Atlanta and New Orleans!


Just in time for Virtual Jazz Fest!



https://www.wwoz.org/

Tune in to this year's broadcast of past Jazz Fest great performances, and drop a few coins in the bucket to keep the Guardians of the Groove alive and well during our temporary break in the action...

I just received the Model Power set today.  It probably hails from the early 90s, so not as retro as the Arnold locomotive, which is 1968 vintage.  But it was complete in the original package, including factory air, and loose metal wheelsets to replace the badly rendered plastic pizza cutters that rendered the cars virtually inoperable.  It's gliding along the final leg of the trip with a couple of coaches and a combine, and the Observation Car "Ronald Reagan" bringing up the rear.  I guess I'll need to spring for some Pullmans and a diner, and maybe a mail car or two.

Lee

Easiest way to spark a flame war in any Southern Rwy group is to paint the locomotive cab roof red.
I like ducks



Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
+1
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Been a while since I've done any CAD, but it's rather like riding a bike.
I like ducks



wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:30 AM »
+1
I fixed an old engine.


Ballasted some track and did some scenery...



And I ran some old trains.



Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2020, 04:01:03 AM »
0
While the specific Model Power China copies of the Lima PRR PBM and P70 cars may post date the Revell/Rapido 4-6-2 the Lima originals date back to the earliest days of AHM N Scale so they certainly are not out of place!!
Charlie Vlk

if you get these cars w/o an interior seat insert they're really old.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2020, 09:29:31 AM »
0
I'm not sure if anyone wanted it, but I wrote up a little "how to" for the Super Docksider. Figured I would post it here, too.


This makes me really miss doing the NTRAK Steam Annual.

Anyone want to volunteer for editor in chief duties so @mmagliaro and I can get back to work?

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2020, 01:27:40 PM »
+1
I might have done something stupid after watching a bunch of NPBL RR videos on YouTube the other night.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Peter Pfotenhauer

bbunge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 340
  • Respect: +538
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
+2
A little project I've been working on using time gained from not having to commute is building a fleet of "good enough" hopper cars. 

I start with a 55 ton 3D printed (Ender3) hopper via Thingaverse.  I lifted some ladders from a thingaverse project for n-scale signals and slightly enlarged them.  An ebay find netted a bunch of brake wheels to round out basic details. 

I apply 2-3 coats of big box hardware store rattle can auto primer+filler.  This fills most of the printer lines.  1-2 coats of rattle can gloss black usually fills in the rest of the lines.  Tichy Train group decals.  Any dings, missed areas, etc, get thinned brushed on craft store paint.  Dullcoat finishes off the body.

Also from thingaverse I re-scaled a HO coal load to fit for a load base. A few BB's weight out the car (these cars don't run well without some weight)  A few years ago, while my 16-old son and I were exploring the "back 40" at Strasburg, I picked up a piece of coal.  Scraped, ground up a bit, then glued in place with Elmers 50/50 finishes off the load.  MT trucks finish the car.



In semi-production line fashion, I'm usually getting a couple of cars done per day, on days "the Boss" doesn't have honey-do projects, with 10 done so far and supplies to get me up to 24. 



While no-way am a "rivet counter" it's nice that so far, I have no repeated car numbers with the Tichy decals.  The Tichy decals also give me an option for the large B&O or spelled out + logo.  Every car is slightly different and at least one so far has some tiny print up-side-down  :D. 

Bob

Dirk Jan Blikkendaal

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 198
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +462
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
+9
I finally finished these ATSF E-1 A +  B models......... 3D prints by OUT OF THE BOX MODELS on modified Kato E-8/9 drives: permanently close-coupled, sound decoder in milled out fuel tank of A-unit, capacitor and sugarcube speaker in cut down frame of B-unit. Running very good and pulling more than enough.....
Found an old box with Ultimate N Scale trucks/trailers........ painted and decalled........ early ATSF piggy-back....
Converted some old Atlas flat cars (for the above flatcars)...... Ultimate N Scale replacement decks .... painted and decalled for ATSF Ft-5 and Ft-M class (the permanently coupled pair).
Build, painted and decalled 6 of my own ATSF N SCALE MODELS stock cars of the Sk-2, Sk-3 and Sk-5 class to replace my incorrect MTL Sante Fe stockcars.....
These are strange times........ happily enough to do........ also busy with (hopefully operating and lighted) ATSF N scale semaphore and trainorder signals..... [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:37:31 PM by Dirk Jan Blikkendaal »
SANTA FE ALL THE WAY
1950-1960
ATSF N Scale Models

Maletrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4225
  • Respect: +900
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2020, 09:03:33 PM »
0
Bob,

Looking at your print on the left in the picture, I am wondering if you could actually use the horizontal print lines to your advantage by making some revisions (diagonal reinforcing bars and board gap lines) so that the print lines look like wood grain on WWII composite hoppers.

A little project I've been working on using time gained from not having to commute is building a fleet of "good enough" hopper cars. 

I start with a 55 ton 3D printed (Ender3) hopper via Thingaverse.  I lifted some ladders from a thingaverse project for n-scale signals and slightly enlarged them.  An ebay find netted a bunch of brake wheels to round out basic details. 

I apply 2-3 coats of big box hardware store rattle can auto primer+filler.  This fills most of the printer lines.  1-2 coats of rattle can gloss black usually fills in the rest of the lines.  Tichy Train group decals.  Any dings, missed areas, etc, get thinned brushed on craft store paint.  Dullcoat finishes off the body.

...



...
Bob

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
0
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

A little more work on my NS caboose.
I like ducks



SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2020, 12:48:58 AM »
+1
Looks like we get to open the hobbyshop back up on the 12th so I need to get cracking on my Corona project....

It's running the test print now.....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:59:47 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19617
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »
+1
I'm at work right now, but the Photon is at home running  8)

train1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 304
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +8
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
+7
Been off the forum for a while but this self isolation has gotten me back in the train rooms. Peace and quiet as my wife is an essential service worker.
In addition to doing some detailing and taking photos for posterity of the Paris Junction Layout - I lined up my Canadian Heritage Custom Paint (what ifs ) units for a family portrait.



djconway

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 487
  • Respect: +76
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
0
I have started logging my layout build under the Deer Creek sub in the engineering and build section.
was trying to post a few photos here but something is not working right.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:06:17 PM by djconway »