Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/15/20  (Read 6844 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 3/15/20
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
Yesterday was spent doing some 1:1 tasks up at Pine Creek Railroad.

Helped lower a Plymouth off a “hospital truck” onto some big cribbing so it can await restoration in a less precarious place.
Measured an ancient door lock in preparation for my trying to find a replacement.
Helped perform a track inspection on one of our grade crossings, which was recently rebuilt by RCC (who did a great job).

No real pictures of the work, so have a reference image of the door hardware:

(Attachment Link)

@VonRyan   Check Facebook for "Old House Parts" in Maine.  There's also probably an architectural salvage place somewhere between there and the Loading Dock in Baltimore.  It's quite a bustling industry.  Is that a mortise lock(recessed in the door) or a surface mount box?  Looks to be the former.  You should be able to find a five gallon bucket or two of them at any reputable salvage dealer.  Sometimes they turn up in antique shops, but they're usually overpriced in that scenario. 

You might also be able to find a modern reproduction from someplace like "Restoration Hardware" or some other old house boutique... again, more $$$ than finding them in a bucket in an old warehouse full of goodies.

Just be warned.  If you find a good architectural salvage place, it's highly likely that you'll find yourself with several more very expensive hobbies. :lol:
Lee
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:22:06 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
+13
Made some painting progress on the next EP-2.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 06:13:24 PM »

Helped lower a Plymouth off a “hospital truck” onto some big cribbing so it can await restoration in a less precarious place.
Measured an ancient door lock in preparation for my trying to find a replacement.
Helped perform a track inspection on one of our grade crossings, which was recently rebuilt by RCC (who did a great job).

(Attachment Link)

Community Forklift in Hyattsville, MD.

https://communityforklift.org/
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
@VonRyan   Check Facebook for "Old House Parts" in Maine.  There's also probably an architectural salvage place somewhere between there and the Loading Dock in Baltimore.  It's quite a bustling industry.  Is that a mortise lock(recessed in the door) or a surface mount box?  Looks to be the former.  You should be able to find a five gallon bucket or two of them at any reputable salvage dealer.  Sometimes they turn up in antique shops, but they're usually overpriced in that scenario. 

You might also be able to find a modern reproduction from someplace like "Restoration Hardware" or some other old house boutique... again, more $$$ than finding them in a bucket in an old warehouse full of goodies.

Just be warned.  If you find a good architectural salvage place, it's highly likely that you'll find yourself with several more very expensive hobbies. :lol:
Lee

Community Forklift in Hyattsville, MD.

https://communityforklift.org/

I went up to Renninger’s Market in Adamstown, PA today as there is a guy there who specializes in antique door hardware.

He’s got plenty of common as well as odd sized stuff, but nothing that matches what came out of the station door.
The outer plate is 7.25” tall and 1.375” wide with no buttons, the actual mechanism box is 5” tall, and from the outside of the plate to the back of the box is 3.5” deep. A rather odd combo from what I understand.

Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »
+2
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Started working on a Kato hopper; planning on doing NS 8001.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Alas, I also drilled a hole in my finger.
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
I've applied all the decals to my HOn3 Precision Scale Co D&RGW caboose.  I used the San Juan Decals that came with the kit for everything but the flying grande herald.  The crispness of the herald on the decals supplied wasn't as good as left overs I had from the San Juan Decals set for a 6500 series flatcar, so I used those instead. 

Decaling has got to be my all time favorite part of modeling.  I just really enjoy the process and trying to get everything perfect.  So, for me, it's not about just slapping them on.  I take endless methodical measurements with my digital calipers and make sure everything is even, level, and symmetrical.  The other thing I'm a stickler about is making sure the edge of the decal is invisible.  The San Juan decals are on very thin film, so it's fairly simple with these.  A couple of builds ago I tried what many military modelers use as a gloss coat, the current iteration of Future Floor Wax.  Same formula, now known a Pledge Revive It (last photo below).  I LOVE this stuff.  I use it straight from the bottle, no thinning.  It's very easy to airbrush.  I applied several medium thick coats to prep the model for decaling.  Applied the decals using Microset and then Microsol.  Cleaned with Q-tips dipped in warm water.  And lastly, and this is really important, applied another covering of gloss.  I do this in repeated light coats, constantly checking to see if the decal edges are still visible.  Keep repeating until they're almost invisible.  It's not really obvious in the photos, but this is glossy enough that you can see the reflection of the side grab irons on the caboose body.  Now on to weathering . . .
Erik
Really nice work Erik.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 10:11:09 PM »
+27
I finished a project!!

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 12:29:51 AM »
I finished a project!!

That’s fantastic. Looks really good.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »
Very nice. Meanwhile every freight car or model car I've tried airbrushing Future or it's present day equivalent (it seems the name changes every few years) comes out horrible. Maybe I should try my son's dual action airbrush. I did dip the canopies of a couple of helicopter models I worked on for table top gaming into a cup of Future and let them drip dry. They came out amazing.  So there may still be hope for me and Future yet.

I tried future on one model and it came out looking like a tortoise shell type pattern. Haven’t had the courage to try again.

Craig

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 02:56:57 AM »
+5
Alas, I also drilled a hole in my finger.

Well, you could add a grab iron to that, too.
- Christian J. Davis

paggs

• Respect: +34
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
Hi Erik,

Great diorama,  What did you use to creat that water?

Mike P.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
I finished a project!!

Seriously, that's a work of art. It needs a good backdrop for its beauty shots though.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »

(Attachment Link)
Back in the day....
(I have used a lot of mortise locks and similar hardware in my theatrical scenery days and in repair/restoration work on 19th century houses)
The two solutions I have come across.....

VERY old hardware store, the sort that has obviously been around a long time, and where there are cobwebs in the corners- the sort that has a back room that is much larger than the customer accessible area. 

And, while I assume you have already thought of this and tried.... that old hardware is usually service-able.  I have fixed several over the years by, essentially, taking them apart, cleaning the innards, replacing springs, occasionally making a replacement part, oiling it and putting it back together.  Might be a little machining involved.

In the meanwhile, I'll check the couple I have in the garage next time I dig out that box.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »
The River Forest Metra station on the UPRR Geneva Subdivision

...is REALLY Impressive!!
Regards,
Paul

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
+1
Finally had some time to do something, so I built a double wide T Trak module with 1/2" and 3/16" foam board and some nylon hardware. Turns out I'm about an 3/16" too long some how, so I'll have to cut and sand the ends a bit.

Plan on using this as a test for scenery techniques to polish of the rust and hopefully build up enough modules for a roundy round with a large yard to run the fleet on and actually have a place to run trains.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler