Author Topic: 'Ignore Topics' Button Gone?  (Read 4028 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
'Ignore Topics' Button Gone?
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
Has this been (intentionally?) removed (from the 'unread posts since last visit' page)?

Ed

C855B

• Crew
Re: 'Ignore Topics' Button Gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:58:33 AM »
In my ten years on the forum I never saw it. There are others today who noted they never had the option, either. So you're saying you had it and now you don't? Curious.

A hunch, however... tho' I evidently never had the ability to ignore threads, I had the ignore threads management page in my profile, as of earlier today. I just checked, and now it's gone. Tom must be working on a fix and has disabled the subsystem at the moment.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 01:56:53 AM »
I also have the ignore thread management page in my profile and I never saw the "ignore thread" check-boxes in the forum's sections.  I never really had a desire to ignore a thread.   :)
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:11:01 AM »
John and I were testing this out last night.  It looks like it broke at some point, and the last version of the code was from 2013 (so there probably is a conflict somewhere).  I uninstalled it with the intention of reinstalling it, but couldn't get it working.

I'll keep trying if I know there is a demand.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
I was using it and finding it helpful to avoid threads that might have tempted me to post something I might have regretted  :)

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
Thank you, Tom. I've been mostly OK doing it "the old-fashioned way", but some threads deteriorate into train wrecks where my mouse hand gets a mind of its own and can't not look at updates, ifyouknowwhatImean. Sometimes it's just better to not know. :|

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 09:46:44 AM »
I'll keep trying if I know there is a demand.

If you can please restore it I for one would be very grateful.  I use it all the time and it's a real life-saver for me.   I use the "Show unread posts since last visit" every time I come back to the site, and it would be madness to have to manually parse thru the list of literally dozens of newly-updated topics that I am not interested in. 

The forum nowadays is so much busier than ever, so that really helps keep the noise level manageable.  If anything, I would only wish that the list length limit was greater than 99 entries, since ignored topics eventually drop off the end of the list, only to appear again.

Thanks,
Ed

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
Ed makes an excellent point about forum activity. Considering my "job" these days is building the layout and running trains, I have the luxury of checking in multiple times a day to see what's up. So my unread posts list is nearly always just a handful of items. On those occasions when I get a life and do something else for a few hours or, heaven forbid, a couple of days, the updated posts list is nearly overwhelming, especially if I am trying to catch-up using my phone's browser. Even overnight the update list can grow to two pages.

I would like to ignore more than the threads that have gone off the rails. There are many discussions of value that, like Ed said, I may not be interested in. The PRR-specific builds, for instance. Certainly great stuff in there, and I'll glance at them from the regular topic lists if whimsy strikes, but the ability to not have to sift through these would be a blessing when I've been offline for a while.

I don't expect the 100-topic limit to be a problem, that's plenty enough to manage the list naturally.

FWIW.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
Any hope of this coming back some time soon?  (Sorry for the whining, tho it is a drag to keep seeing Coronavirus and such over and over again....).  :facepalm:

Ed

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
I think Tom said in another thread (temporary system outage?) that they tried to restore the code for this, and couldn't get it to work. Apparently the SMF folks didn't upgrade this feature in parallel with other tweaks and upgrades, and the "hooks" are apparently incompatible now.  :(

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »
Apparently the SMF folks didn't upgrade this feature in parallel with other tweaks and upgrades, and the "hooks" are apparently incompatible now.  :(

That's too bad.  At Sun, we would have referred to what SMF did as "incompetence".  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Ed

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
This should be fixed.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 10:37:40 PM »
Yes, it's working, thanks!

Ed

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 03:48:03 PM »
Sorry, no, it's not working... not for me, anyway. Chrome Version 80.0.3987.149 running on Windows 7 Professional.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
I can't tell if it's working or not - because I can't find it.  If it were working, how would I use it?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.