Author Topic: New Bluford Shops hoppers.  (Read 2331 times)

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
Re: New Bluford Shops hoppers.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
Nice, I’ll be in for a few IC hoppers. You guys (Bluford) manage to have something for me on just about every release.

Tom L
Wellington CO

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
Nice! But. What about us west coast guys?😀
Otto K.
Otto, I know ATSF had some cars like these (which Buford did in the first run).  Which other west coast railroads had them?  It has always seemed to me that the 2 bay hopper was mostly an eastern (well, east of Kansas City) car, while western roads were more likely to have 3 bay cars, and adopted hoppers later (with gondolas doing most of the work).  BUT, I will admit, that opinion is formed more from MODEL railroad sources than REAL railroad sources, so might be completely off base.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:08 PM »
+2
Otto, I know ATSF had some cars like these (which Buford did in the first run).  Which other west coast railroads had them?  It has always seemed to me that the 2 bay hopper was mostly an eastern (well, east of Kansas City) car, while western roads were more likely to have 3 bay cars, and adopted hoppers later (with gondolas doing most of the work).  BUT, I will admit, that opinion is formed more from MODEL railroad sources than REAL railroad sources, so might be completely off base.
You are correct Tom. Aside from AT&SF, CB&Q had the composite version in quantity but they decided to rebuild them with wood again. Ironically, they were the last War Emergency hoppers to be retired. The next time we do the composite side cars, we will be doing both AT&SF and a new CB&Q scheme.

Craig
Bluford Shops

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
You are correct Tom. Aside from AT&SF, CB&Q had the composite version in quantity but they decided to rebuild them with wood again. Ironically, they were the last War Emergency hoppers to be retired. The next time we do the composite side cars, we will be doing both AT&SF and a new CB&Q scheme.

Craig
Bluford Shops

The Q is great news!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »
Anyway, full set of NKP hoppers ordered!  I note that there are three missing part numbers in the sequence - saving room for a second 3-car run?

George, where did you order from?  I used to use BLW, but HOGTrainz doesn't have them up for reservation yet.

I want a full set, too!

John C.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:13 AM »
George, where did you order from?  I used to use BLW, but HOGTrainz doesn't have them up for reservation yet.

I want a full set, too!

John C.
Ordered through my local hobby shop - Hobbysmith in Portland, OR.  hobbysmith.com.  They'll ship.
Not really practical to order this on-line, I just called and talked to Ron (owner) placed an order.  He's open, sort-of, or at least answering his phone.  Current hours are T-F 11 AM - 4 PM, Sat 10 AM - 5 PM.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.