Author Topic: Three-point perspective photos?  (Read 1528 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Three-point perspective photos?
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »
So I’m experimenting with my LA backdrop mockups which include some strong vertical elements, like the 28 story City Hall. While the scene is beginning to look okay to my eye, the iPhone camera photos are coming out weird, with an exaggerated three-point perspective I last saw in architectural rendering classes way too long ago; the buildings are leaning outward. Is that a function of the short iPhone lens (I hope) or am I going to be stuck with a scene that looks good but photographs weird? Do I need to attempt to compensate for this by forcing the perspective the other way? I don’t have access to a “standard” lens at the moment. (which I should really try first).
Thoughts? Advice?
Otto K.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Three-point perspective photos?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
Photoshop has a lens correction tool that can adjust the pin cushion distortion as well as the horizontal and vertical perspective..  Not sure if other photo editing tools do as well.  I've used it with some success.

If you'd like to send me the file, I can see what it can do.

Jason

p51

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:48 PM »
With a photo, you need to get shots of the background generally about half the way up or down it's vertical length. If you're painting then, then you want to stick with two point perspective.
The further away you are from your subject for these background shots, for the sake of perspective, the better.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
Thanks guys. Jason, that sounds like a good idea, I’ll look into it.
Otto