Author Topic: Washing Models  (Read 908 times)

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
Washing Models
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
Okay so this may be a dumb question, but is there a correct way to wash models before painting and before clear coating? I know you’re supposed to wash them with warm soapy water to remove finger prints, but it there a correct way to do it? Should locomotives be treated differently than rolling stock? And what about wood kits?

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Washing Models
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:34:51 PM »
Should locomotives be treated differently than rolling stock?

Take the shell off before putting it in water?   :ashat:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
+2
I would recommend against washing wooden kits (in H2O).  But  I suppose that if you want to rinse them in acetone, it will be ok.

Seriously, do not wash wooden kits in anything,
. . . 42 . . .

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 04:12:11 PM »
+1
I always wash plastic models with a toothbrush in warm water and Dawn dish washing liquid.  I will rinse the model with lots (copious amounts) of water.  For the last few years, I have followed my last tap water rinse with a rinse of deionized water.  This cuts down on water spots from the minerals and chemicals in tap water.  I then air dry in a drawer left partially open to air to minimize dust settling on the model.  Once dry, I handle the model with latex gloves and move it to a paint stand and apply dull coat or gloss coat via Testors or Model Master rattle can.  I have used this method for many years with good success.  Thank you.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez