Author Topic: Critiques for my first weathering job  (Read 1268 times)

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
Critiques for my first weathering job
« on: February 18, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
+1
Behold, my first-ever attempt at weathering! The victim is a N scale Walthers Penn Central GP20. The weapons, AK Interactive Light Dust, Medium Rust, and Smoke pigments. It's not sealed yet since I would like a little critiquing before I do (and I also see a fingerprint in picture 3 that needs touch-up). I also plan to add some fuel streaks on the tank once the pigments are locked in place. Here are a couple of the pictures I used as references: https://railpictures.net/photo/491540/
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3RH3Q_0416-rr-emd-gp20?guid=48df44de-23e2-4890-904e-76a7f033ef03

Let me know what you think I can do better, and what I did right.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: Critiques for my first weathering job
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
Not bad at all for a first try.  I'm always of the less-is-more mindset.

If I had any critique at all it would be that I'd like to see more of that gray grime caked onto the trucks.  Something in a grayish-brown....though a little goes a long way.  That the trucks are often Delrin means the paint may not want to stick as well if you're using acrylic washes.  You could always brush-paint on a bit of Dullcote to give your wash something to bite onto.

But overall, yes, that looks good and subtle.  You'll want to start subtle and work your way toward the rolling wrecks and not vice-versa.

That said, I yield to the great weathering barons of this hallowed forum by whom I have merely apprenticed...

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
I second Dr. Hotballs, but like you mentioned, one glaring thing that sticks out to me is your finger prints.  I would recommend when prepping a loco before weathering, the first thing to do is wash the body in warm soapy water and let it air dry. When you start weathering make sure to wear latex gloves.  If you've ever seen CSI when they dust for prints, this is exactly what you'll get if you handle you the body and then apply pigments.  Otherwise, great first try!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:52:45 PM by davidgray1974 »

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I will wash off the pigments and weather the loco the same, but with gloves on this time. I also like the idea of Dullcote-ing the trucks and fuel tank. I did weather them but it doesn't show up as well as on the loco shell.

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
Nice.
I'd also expect to see some 'shearing' effect of dust and water on the nose and eyebrows, or did they run LHF then? Either way, a little more 'effect' in those areas and a light dusting on doors 'detail' won't hurt.
cheers dave

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4585
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:04:25 PM »
Since we are critiquing, I also like to mention the photos themselves.  I realize that it is difficult to photograph dark objects, but having them backlit (by what it looks like natural light) doesn't make things easier too see.  Flash photos are also not an answer. Having the light source in front, and above the model should provide much better illumination.  In this example I think that just eliminating the strong bluish backlight would have solved the problem.
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 05:51:12 PM »
Since we are critiquing, I also like to mention the photos themselves.  I realize that it is difficult to photograph dark objects, but having them backlit (by what it looks like natural light) doesn't make things easier too see.  Flash photos are also not an answer. Having the light source in front, and above the model should provide much better illumination.  In this example I think that just eliminating the strong bluish backlight would have solved the problem.

Agreed, it's rather hard to see anything in detail, other than the roof and walkways.  (Trucks, pilots, e.g.)  Natural sunlight is the best for lighting.

Ed

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »
Great thing about PC loco's is they can appear weathered in just about any "flavor" you want.

But Dave nailed it about the trucks having a gray or light-colored powered on them.  I've looked at more prototype PC loco pics than I could count and if the body is weathered, then the trucks usually have been "powdered".