Author Topic: At Home  (Read 2161 times)

CHUCKGEO

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
At Home
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »
+2
Like many, I'm at home (but retired). Spent last three years fishing and sleeping in. Now with emergency lock-down, I can work on N scale projects. I've added up my diesel power projects, and I have 26 (how I got so far behind, I have no idea?), plus another 16 passenger cars to be repainted in Alaska Railroad. I do have all the parts and decals (dozen modern era, and 4 ARR DOT), now to start. How many others in same boat? Be safe.

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
Re: At Home
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
I got about 10 engine repairs,15 decoders to hard wire,two tie cranes to build,and my truck mogul to work on

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +260
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
I've got a Walther's turntable to install, along with building the roundhouse, and putting basic scenery on the 4x3 foot module I'm putting it on. Of course, I won't be staying at home because I work for the real thing, and it's considered an essential job. But I'm going to focus on getting it done within 4-6 weeks. I've had some of those roundhouse kits over 5 years.

porkypine52

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »
Went to Grocery Store to stock up on goodies.  Here in INDIANA as of Wednesday at 24:00[midnight], we are LOCKED DOWN.  No going ANYPLACE.  Don't think I need/want ANYTHING from Local Hobby Shop.  Not even sure if He's OPEN?
Lots of time to get things going, maybe FINISH a few projects.   Gonna get the Airbrush out and PRACTICE and PRACTICE and PRACTICE on goofing up the finish on a few more CHEAP Bachmann pieces of rolling stock.  LOL  LOL
Maybe jump in and wall-mount the Flat-Screen TV, I've been putting off.   HMMMMM

Decisions--Decisions--Decisions

DIESELS!?!?!?!  We don't need NO stinckin' Diesels!!!!
The INDIANA RAILWAY    Still 100% STEAM POWERED in 2020

The PORKYPINE                 

DIESELS!?!?!?!  We don't need no STINKIN' DIESELS!!!
The INDIANA RAILWAY.  100% Steam Powered in 2022

MARK          Proud NMRA Member

If I studied all my life, I couldn't think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of congress.

Will Rogers

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »
+2
I don't FEEL essential, but for some reason (that escapes me), I am . The drive to work, however, has never been easier.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
+6
“Safer at Home” is Wisconsin’s term for keep yourself  at home.

A few projects done in the past FKA social distancing15 days. The big one was installing 84’ of stage skirting to finish off the underneath the layout.

TomO [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

TLOC

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
+2
One more

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »
+1
TLOC your layout looks great.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 12:21:20 AM »
I am an "essential worker" at an auto fuel/oil filter plant.  Why?  It does make sense...

The assembly plants are closed, no new cars being made, so they don't need filters.  The dealers are closed, no cars being sold, so even if they were made, they'd just sit and rust.

BUT:  Repair shops are considered "essential", which makes sense, as long as everybody isn't locked down.  If you can't buy a new car, you have to maintain the old one.  And half the filters we make go to shops and parts stores. As long as some people are driving, we really are "essential".  The company is checking temperatures, with an infrared "forehead thermometer", on anyone who coughs, sneezes, or just "doesn't feel good", and only about half the crew are working.  But the plant is still running.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
+2
I've been working like crazy.  Fortunately my business hasn't seen much interruption.  Unfortunately it makes me desperately jealous of all the people complaining about having nothing to do, wishing I could join them even if only for a few hours.

Happily the layout is running reliably, so I can enjoy watching the trains run over in the corner of the office while I'm hunched over the design computer.  There's a bunch of stuff I'd like to be doing, such as painting track and ballasting, adding details to the scenery and finishing the river, but that will have to wait until a few more deadlines get met...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

TLOC

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 03:47:25 PM »
+1
Ns737 thank you.

The virus has definitely messed things up. I know I’m not essential as I am retired but I feel for you essentials, especially if you are in the medical, 1st responders or grocery fields. I thank you for being there. The rest of the essentials are needed for a reason and whatever field they are in, I thank you.

If you are home develope a routine. My wife and I still exercise at 9am but now it’s a walk instead of the fitness center. I hit the train room between 1 and 6. We miss the grandkids and yes even their parents.

I’m rambling, I know, but missing the things we take for granted may open new eyes to what’s around us. When things are better I hope we are closer together then farther apart. Happy railroading.

TomO

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
+1
One thing this situation is doing is making more people, especially in urban areas, familiar with the term “supply chain” and understand how vulnerable we are as a society when things are interrupted.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 04:32:39 PM »
One thing this situation is doing is making more people, especially in urban areas, familiar with the term “supply chain” and understand how vulnerable we are as a society when things are interrupted.

We in the model railroad world are VERY familiar with this concept and how fragile it is.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 12:25:52 AM »
Not just for model supplies, either.  Many of us are also railfans, and part of learning about railroads is learning WHY they do the things they do.  "Supply Chains" and "Shipping/Delivery Systems" are a big part of understanding a railroad's reason for existing.  Granted, much of today's transport is by truck, instead of loose-car railroading of the past, but the principles are still the same.
N Kalanaga
Be well