Author Topic: BC Rail Takla Subdivision in HO Scale  (Read 6014 times)

legostudios34

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
Re: BC Rail Takla Subdivision in HO Scale
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
+2
Made some major progress today. One of my super cheap D8-40Bs came in the mail so I started working on Canadian-izing (is that a word?) it. Also finished framing the layout (minus the staging cassette). It passed inspection by the resident kitty (there's a door to the room so he can only get up there when I'm around).

Baxter Barnes

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 12:07:05 AM »
. It passed inspection by the resident kitty (there's a door to the room so he can only get up there when I'm around).

Ha!  Don't bet on it !

legostudios34

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:05 PM »
+4
The layout is progressing nicely. Foam landforms are in, and the mainline is laid as far as the north siding switch at Sloane. Installed a temporary bridge over the Sustet River; this will eventually get replaced with a deck truss to recreate the image on the cover of Northern Light.

Baxter Barnes

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 02:41:05 AM »
Coming along nicely.  I especially like the backdrop.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

legostudios34

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
+4
Been a while since I've posted here but still making progress. Worked on scenery on the other side of the layout, finished laying the track (minus the lifting bridge and the staging cassette), and painted more backdrop. Not completely happy with the painting on this stretch, but it's just paint so I can make modifications. Hopefully I'll finish wiring soon and I can start running trains - and hopefully that'll inspire me to work on scratchbuilding some log cars instead of building some NS locomotives (what can I say? BC Rail is cool to model but I have a soft spot for the locomotives I grew up around).

Baxter Barnes

legostudios34

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
+4
Trains are running!

Baxter Barnes

legostudios34

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
+2
This layout isn't dead, it's just been a while since I've worked on it. The upstairs room gets pretty warm during the summer and I've been staying occupied with far too many locomotive projects lately. Tonight, however, I worked on ballasting between the Sustet River bridge and the south siding switch at Sloane. I usually dread ballasting but every time I do it I'm reminded it's not that bad. Planning on more ballasting this weekend.

Baxter Barnes

legostudios34

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
+1
In my last layout update, I said this layout wasn't dead... now, I'd say it is. We came to the conclusion that we'll be staying in this house a while longer - probably 5 years or so, and frankly, I don't see myself getting five years of enjoyment out of this layout. It was built to be small and relatively easy to move in case I wanted to save some scenes from it, but that has resulted in operations leaving a lot to be desired. I've run a few sessions lately (albeit with stand-in cars as my fleet of log cars is very small), and there's no variety. The only industry is the log loadout, and the operations are the same every time - run to Sloane, run around the train, pull loads out of the camp, push the empties in, and run back to staging. Additionally, I've finally come to the conclusion after working through a number of ways trying to make trees for the layout that I don't think I can convincingly model the scenery. Maybe that's a problem that goes along with trying to build a layout based on a book with very vivid photos. I might save a section for photos, I'm not sure yet. I am planning on saving a couple pieces of the backdrop I painted, as they could be useful for building some sort of photographic module for my BC Rail equipment.

I've decided to go back to modeling the Dakotas. I feel like I did this pretty convincingly on my old DM&E layout, and I've got a lot of nice BNSF equipment just begging to be used. The new layout will focus on BNSF's Madison Subdivision, which runs northwest out of Sioux Falls, SD. This provides a nice variety of freight cars to run and could support three different jobs - the Airport Switch Job (works the industries in North Sioux Falls), the Cyclone (runs to Madison, switching the industries there and Dakota Ethanol), and occasional unit trains to Madison (the runaround there could support a 10 car train with two Dash 9s or similar). I've attached my proposed track plan below; once I actually start building this (hopefully within the next month) I'll create a new thread. I've got most of the track I need on hand so hopefully it won't take too long to get it operational - I've missed engaging branchline operations.

Best,
Baxter Barnes