Author Topic: Is "Spitters on Shutdown" a Real Thing?  (Read 1797 times)

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
Re: Is "Spitters on Shutdown" a Real Thing?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »
Hi Rick,
Just now fine tuning my latest install SD60 with a 73100 using sound file 73831.   Spitters are on sound slots 15 and 17.  Fast and slow respectively.  In LP I just clicked the box on these in sound settings tab to only play when sound enabled.  Now they shouldnt play when F8 hit to shut down sound. Well not quite true as I have just found out.  Darn.   I also turn the volumes down to 30% on these normally. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:48:53 PM by Steveruger45 »
Steve

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
Re: Is "Spitters on Shutdown" a Real Thing?
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 02:11:52 AM »
Ahh!  Now I get it.
While I’m not a locomotive engineer I would think your suspicion is correct. I cannot think why it would be desirable to only have spitters work on shut down.   These things keep the air in the brake system dry and as moisture can build up relatively quickly in use, when the compressor is running, I would think it logical these things work in operation too.  In fact, the purely mechanical spitters will work anytime moisture is present to trigger them, running or not.

LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEERS OUT THERE HELP. 🙄

It just occurred to me the meaning in the sound file of “spitters only upon shut down” may be that this is the only sound the decoder plays when shut down at some random rate, presumably to simulate a real shut down loco that has mechanical spitters occasionally spitting when it is parked and all on its lonesome.  I think this then would be prototypical.  However, my models do this too but I must admit it seems to do it too often to be prototypical.

Yes the auto drain valves work at all times, locomotive running or not.  Their sound can be as little as psst every now and again to an almost constant high pressure air noise.  I've had them so loud that I thought the train went into emergency when they went off.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.