Author Topic: Impregnating FUD with CA?  (Read 3813 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7845
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Impregnating FUD with CA?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Will do!

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Did you try impregnating with anything other than CA?

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
The bells there look to be twice the size of John's. That does change things.

Keep in mind that Nathan horns appear to be typically shorter and more flared out than Leslie horns. Also, it is unpainted and the clear-ish resin tends to somewhat distort what we see/can photograph. That said, the largest chime on mine is approximately 1.3 mm in dia and the smallest is 0.7mm in dia.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I will also admit that I didn't bother putting in any of the extra fine details that @Lemosteam put in his, I just wanted a quick and dirty "close enough for a trainshow runner" horn. I would really like to see a closeup of how well FXD rendered the Leslie horn though! Can you really see the hex head bolts, or is it just rivet looking blobs? I am truly curious to see the results.

As my earlier photo kinda shows, supporting this thing was a tough job. Even though supports were placed in areas that will show less, there will be fine marks left over if you know where to look. That is in my mind the one advantage of FXD over the home use resin machines. Then again, I wouldn't have been able to draw this up and have a part printed out in less than a few hours if I was still relying on shapeways.  :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:35:45 PM by CNR5529 »
Because why not...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5474
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 03:02:21 PM »
I bet the Photon horns "grew" a little bit as well.

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 05:04:19 PM »
If you are trying to get CA thin enough to penetrate you can certainly dilute it with acetone.  You can make it very thin.  The acetone will evaporate and then the CA cures and then... I don't know. :|  I never tried it. ;)  But I would and maybe I will based on this thread. 8)  I suspect it won't make much of a difference if it even works. :|
Mark G.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4521
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »
+1
@peteski, yes I know they are fragile.  I am still waiting for a brass example that is even close to this detail.  If you have one, can you show a photo?

John,
You keep touting those bolt heads, but sometimes less is more.  Who (except for super-close macro photography) will even notice those bolts?  I'm all for extreme details and super accuracy, but sometimes trading off super-small details for strength is warranted. Especially on some item which is very delicate, and is mounted in a location which is very prone to damage.

The brass horns probably don't have crisp bolt detail (it's been a while since I examined them under a microscope), but they still look very good.

Here are some examples (no, no bolt details)  :D

. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 08:24:15 PM »
+1
Did you try impregnating with anything other than CA?

Where is the Railwire I know. Seriously, @Ed Kapuscinski serves up the ultimate softball, and only @chicken45 even offers so feeble a swing at it as this?

This place is losing its edginess.  We broke the Peteski rule of thread drift within 7 posts too. :facepalm:

Ed, my experiments with saturating some Shapeways castings with CA to strengthen them did not produce desirable results. Still very breakable.

What about using the SW pieces as a master for a mold for brass or even solder castings?
Peter Pfotenhauer

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
I bet the Photon horns "grew" a little bit as well.

Are we taking bets by how much?  :D
Because why not...

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 08:51:12 PM »
If you are trying to get CA thin enough to penetrate you can certainly dilute it with acetone.  You can make it very thin.  The acetone will evaporate and then the CA cures and then... I don't know. :|  I never tried it. ;)  But I would and maybe I will based on this thread. 8)  I suspect it won't make much of a difference if it even works. :|

No need to go through all this work.  Just get thin CA, sometimes called CA-.  It's thinner than water.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4521
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 09:09:14 PM »

What about using the SW pieces as a master for a mold for brass or even solder castings?

That might work for investment casting.  It doesn't have to be wax.

Remind me again about my rule of going OT in a thread. Having a Peteski senior moment.  :)

And yes, TRW has lost its edge - unfortunately. We are all afraid of someone getting offended, or down-votes.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
That might work for investment casting.  It doesn't have to be wax.

Remind me again about my rule of going OT in a thread. Having a Peteski senior moment.  :)

And yes, TRW has lost its edge - unfortunately. We are all afraid of someone getting offended, or down-votes.  :|

@peteski Shapeways no longer prints wax models... BOO, but even if they did, the relief details on this model would be out of spec.

Well so far I have not found a way to melt FUD- seriously, but I have not tried to incinerate it.  My 900 degree soldering iron only shatters it. 

A homemade spin casting machine and split silicone mold might work though with a low melt material.

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
So just to close the loop on the Photon horn size after printing, the larger chime was supposed to be 1.33mm in dia, and ended up being 1.39mm. The smallest should have been 0.71mm in dia, and ended up being 0.77mm. That is a 0.06mm difference on the diameter, or just over 0.002". That is an acceptable amount of error for my purposes.
Because why not...

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
Where is the Railwire I know. Seriously, @Ed Kapuscinski serves up the ultimate softball, and only @chicken45 even offers so feeble a swing at it as this?

This place is losing its edginess.  We broke the Peteski rule of thread drift within 7 posts too. :facepalm:

Ed, my experiments with saturating some Shapeways castings with CA to strengthen them did not produce desirable results. Still very breakable.

The only "softball" (quantity 1) around here is sitting with Ed on his chair.

HEYOOOOOOO

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 04:45:54 AM »
On the subject of CA. While it may not be strong on its own, impregnating with a porous material would strengthen both the material and the CA itself. This is the whole idea behind carbon fiber and fiberglass.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
Mixing loose porous material into CA won't add strength at all.  It's the structural integrity of the carbon fiber or fiberglass that provides the strength.  Adding CA to those materials strengthen them.  But adding "stuff" to CA won't.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your statement.