Author Topic: Rapido GMD-1 wheel change?  (Read 1407 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Rapido GMD-1 wheel change?
« on: February 12, 2020, 02:09:44 AM »
Does anyone have any video of how to install the replacement (in gauge) wheel sets
 For said model? There is supposed to be a youtube video from Rapido, but I could not find it.
 My problem is getting the truck covers off. I have the directions that came with new wheel sets,
 but just can't get those clips to release.
 Thanks,
 Joe D

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Re: Rapido GMD-1 wheel change?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:56 AM »
I have seven of them with one on the way.They are a pain to work on. Believe it or not the bottom just snaps off. I use a dental pick to pop of on end at a time.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
I had to remove the couplers the get under the clip to pop it. Then unsolder the truck(s).
 Yeh, a real PITA. At least I only have 2, or 3 locos. If you need, I have some extra in gauge wheels.
 Thanks,
 Joe

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:27 PM »
I had to remove the couplers the get under the clip to pop it. Then unsolder the truck(s).
 Yeh, a real PITA.

Isn't the Kato truck pickup design the shiz compared to the hardwired setup?
Whenever a new loco comes out with hardwired trucks, I feel like they took a step backwards.  And now Atlas is reverting to using wires again. At least those use removable pins, not being soldered.  Still, anytime I see wires, I think that they will eventually break (and usually at the weak area where the insulation ends). 
. . . 42 . . .

jjb62556

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 09:18:51 PM »
I have only had to replace one set so far...Jim

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »
Hopefully Rapido fixed the issue on more recent releases. I got one of the Cuban oddballs.
 Dental pick, of course! I got a set of picks from HFT, and they're great for loosening coolant
 hoses on vehicles. Pete, you're right for the most part. But I do think wires to trucks eliminate
 some trouble spots.Those long contact strips that usually press into fuel tank can be pesky at times.
 You need to keep them in position, clean them, and the truck tabs that contact them. But
 we're getting off topic here.
 I wonder if Rapido is still offering to do these replacements on their dime, and if they have the in gauge wheels in stock?
 Joe D

jjb62556

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 09:16:09 PM »
Doesn't hurt to ask,but it may take a while. Busy on problems with the HO RS18's. I would call
to ask. Jim

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:04 AM »
I sent an email asking if the 2nd? run with Cuban oddball had correctly gauged wheels, and two other questions.
  The wheels I installed turned out to have one wobbly wheel. :facepalm: I may have caused this when trying to install new
  wheelsets. I realized last night that problem could be the mounting bosses for sideframe pick-ups are directly above
  the axle cups. Replaced that axle, and rolled the wobbler on desk. One wheel was slanted.
  Jason @ Rapido, not bitchin', but learning.
 Joe D

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »
I heard from Rapido. They never made the video!
 I did complete the wheel swap on one of my locos,
 but it doesn't seem to run as well as before.
 Sending it to Rapido, as advised in email from them.
 Joe D