Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/9/20  (Read 5245 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1396
Re: Weekend Update 2/9.20
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:00:59 PM »
+20
I was able to weather a few Athearn PS2600 cement hoppers this week. After masking the patches, I used a mix of tube acrylics applied/removed with Q-tips, and an airbrush.

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +975
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:02:30 PM »
Very nice, Chris, as always.
Otto

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
+17
My friend Michael decided I needed to represent the Bottling House of the Highlander Brewery on my Missoula Layout.  I had completed the main building awhile ago and it was clear that it was needed to complete the scene.  I compressed it a little to better fit the space.

The picture below shows the building on the middle left above the trucks.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:11:56 PM by hegstad1 »
Andrew Hegstad

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
Chris,
Well done, sir!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1150
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
+35
One project I have underway is to "notionally recreate" an old photo of Farron Summit Pusher station taken by Theresa Smith in the late 40's.  Only notional recreate because the model track plan could not be functionally identical to the prototype owing to lack of space (requiring such compromises as relocating the turning wye and mid siding cross-over, and curving the mainline).  Still, my aim is to get close enough that old timers can say "ah yes, that is Farron!"

Now on the C&W Farron is not the most convenient place to photograph especially at the angle of Ms. Smith's photo which necessitates placing a camera on the tracks and looking back towards the aisle way. To that end I tried using my cell phone to at least mock up the shots. After seeing @Scottl 's success photographing his Cisco bridge, I downloaded the HedgeCam2 app for my Samsung Galaxy A8.  Wow.  This app makes taking series of photos at different focal distances {focus bracketing} dirt simple.  These series can then be loaded into a focus stacking program such as Helicon Focus for rendering.

and the uncropped picture...

I also tried an angled shot up McRae canyon while I was at it.

I was blown away.  I think I shall now retire my Canon.  I have come to count on my phone for soooo many things.

Have a great weekend!

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +975
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
+9
Wow Mark, that’s beautiful! Brrrr...😬
On my end, I’ve been working on the distinctive LA Civic Center/LA Union Station backdrops, with mixed results, but getting there I think. Sunshine and Palm trees...
More in my ATSF LA Division layout engineering thread.
Otto
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:44:02 PM by Cajonpassfan »

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +625
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »
+6
I’ve made more progress on the Rutherford Creek module. More in the build thread.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=48417.90

Craig.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +733
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 05:22:33 AM »
+11
Got some more work done on CR 64599. Just finished fitting the chevron decals on the blade shields. All decals are custom. Still need to add a few more before final details and weathering.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 07:23:35 AM »
Excellent photos and, of course, modelling.  Thanks also for the heads up on HedgeCam2, I'll be trying that out real soon.  The main thing that's missing from the photo is that its is actually snowing.  There got to be a way to recreate that on the layout during ops sessions.

Daryl
One project I have underway is to "notionally recreate" an old photo of Farron Summit Pusher station taken by Theresa Smith in the late 40's.  Only notional recreate because the model track plan could not be functionally identical to the prototype owing to lack of space (requiring such compromises as relocating the turning wye and mid siding cross-over, and curving the mainline).  Still, my aim is to get close enough that old timers can say "ah yes, that is Farron!"

Now on the C&W Farron is not the most convenient place to photograph especially at the angle of Ms. Smith's photo which necessitates placing a camera on the tracks and looking back towards the aisle way. To that end I tried using my cell phone to at least mock up the shots. After seeing @Scottl 's success photographing his Cisco bridge, I downloaded the HedgeCam2 app for my Samsung Galaxy A8.  Wow.  This app makes taking series of photos at different focal distances {focus bracketing} dirt simple.  These series can then be loaded into a focus stacking program such as Helicon Focus for rendering.

I was blown away.  I think I shall now retire my Canon.  I have come to count on my phone for soooo many things.

Have a great weekend!

md

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +625
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
+1

This looks soooo good.  I still find my self feeling surprised it's N scale.

Craig

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +534
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »

Have a great weekend!

md
I did this too, but not as well as you, a few years back...

I really need a correct Pacific Electric PCC...they were very unique and no one has designed one on Shapeways

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +815
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »
+3
I re-engineered my photon exhaust system ..

First -- I had an exhaust manifold printed on a formlabs printer, and then infused with metal to make a nice rigid attach point for the fan housing.  2nd, the fan housing is a square box I found in the dryer vent section of lowes .. 4 inch .. it allowed me to mount a fan, and also connect the dryer exhaust hose ..

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2861
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »

First -- I had an exhaust manifold printed on a formlabs printer, and then infused with metal to make a nice rigid attach point for the fan housing. 

Um, how does one "infuse" some 3D printed plastic object with metal?  :?  Sounds quite useful.
. . . 42 . . .

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1150
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 05:24:11 PM »
Um, how does one "infuse" some 3D printed plastic object with metal?  :?  Sounds quite useful.

Insert molded?

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/