Author Topic: PRR D16sb research for a build  (Read 2158 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1730
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: PRR D16sb research for a build
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 09:49:03 PM »
Those are the engines that held court on Delmarva into the 1940s.  Or very much like them.  The sun gradually set on them as bigger PRR steam was demoted from the mains to the hinterlands in the late 40s and 50s.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2482
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »
Speaking of the hotness. I don't know any red blooded American who can see this and not get the vapors.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +834
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
Where and when was this excursion?  Jointed rail under catenary??

Speaking of the hotness. I don't know any red blooded American who can see this and not get the vapors.

/>

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2551
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »

Or a vapor lock!  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +770
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »
A milestone - I think - I hope....

After two false starts, I successfully mounted a Rivarossi driver on the Bachmann axle, and murderously carved up the Bachmann frame/boiler to clear 68" drivers.  And it's actually cocentric, and it spins nicely.   That 'should mean' that I can use Bachmann side rods and original gears and get this thing quartered up properly.  And hopefully turn the flanges down a bit, although I really don't need to for my own use.

Until I get the four drivers, worm, and rods working smoothly for this Frankensteam I'm trying not to get distracted by other details.

It's very much a Sid project from Toy story, when I'm buzzing out big chunks of a Bachmann boiler with the Dremel to clear bigger drivers.
http://www.cornel1801.com/disney/Toy-Story-1995/pictures/53.jpg

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2482
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
Where and when was this excursion?  Jointed rail under catenary??

Whoa, you don't know about those excursions from the 80s?

There were a couple. They were amazing.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »
OK, well, I'm stalled for a bit.

I got the Rivarossi main drivers on the Bachmann axle flanges turned and quartered, and then discovered I'm missing more parts from my junker Bachmann 4-4-0 than I thought, and it's kind of a killer until I get them.

This was an old one - the original Hong Kong run - with the thicker hex-nut universal shaft and the metal gears.  That shaft is missing.    I'm also missing the screw that holds the bottom plate to the worm shaft bearing block between the two worms.   And I'd taken the main drive rods (crosshead to driver) out for the Climax B project, so I am missing those as well.    Those would come in handy I think, although it's looking like the Rivarossi cylinders and crosshead may work with some modification.

As I'm using the Bachmann frame, the Bachmann side rods (driver to driver) fit precisely, and even fit well over the Rivarossi bushings.

But for lack of that screw, and the universal shaft end (which I intend to remount to an NWSL universal shaft back to my gearhead motor) I'm stopped.   Bachmann doesn't have the parts, and I'm watching on auction sites for any 'nonworking junkers' with the right parts.

So I'll ask here as well if anybody has a junker that I can get for parts.    I'll find some eventually as junkers show up, but I was making pretty good progress until this issue came up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:43:15 AM by randgust »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1327
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »
I see them all the time on Facebook N Scale selling groups.  I may be able to broker one for you if you don't FB.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »
Parts on the way.... from another Railwire member.   Good thing because it's a real crapshoot out there finding the right generation of the mechanisms when I've already started this using the oldest one.

And as I was digging around in my ample box of surplus body shell parts (maybe the missing driveshaft was in the bottom??) I found something else I knew I had somewhere but couldn't find... two nice resin copies of the Trix B6 boiler casting.  It really looks like that cab could be shortened to the proper size.

I got them from somebody off the forum in trade for something else, and my pack rat mentality dating back to my teenage years is once again justified.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:32:37 PM by randgust »