Author Topic: Springfield Mini Show Report 2020  (Read 4478 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
Re: Springfield Mini Show Report 2020
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 03:51:43 PM »
It was our intention to retool the GP38/40 frame with the capability to offer the smaller fuel tank AND have ditch lights, however the factory owner tooled the new chassis on his dime without consulting us and during one of our factory visits he pulls out this model complete with sound to demonstrate - so - that is what got offered on the initial sound runs, and we went ahead with our retooled chassis that is under the GP40-2W anyway.

@Atlas Paul

Thanks for clearing that up. It's good to see the older stuff get some love. All I ask is that you make the short tanks and frames so I can retrofit my existing fleet to sound and proper tanks.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
+1
Can we include 800 gallon fuel tanks for the GP7/9 as well?

Jason

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 04:07:51 PM »
Is that CR shell a B30-7R Daniel?

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that! It's from:
https://steelhorsemodels.com/

They will also be doing CP rebuild engines as well as a dozen or so PCF boxcar types. These are all 3d printed. He intends to make 3d prints available, the cast them in better material as demand increase and finally full tooling and RTR plastic models as demand dictates.

The Super7 will run on a B23-7 chassis. The modeling work is very good but there was a lot of striations on these prints. I really hope they work that out because these would be very, very good models otherwise.

There may be a C32-8 in the works as well.

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 07:38:09 PM »
+1
If Atlas acquired the TLT N scale tooling I hope they got the RS-10 and RS-18.

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »
All I would want from Atlas is some high- hood Geep 30's and 25's. I'd be ecstatic enough with that.

What Andy said !

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 08:40:44 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that! It's from:
https://steelhorsemodels.com/

They will also be doing CP rebuild engines as well as a dozen or so PCF boxcar types. These are all 3d printed. He intends to make 3d prints available, the cast them in better material as demand increase and finally full tooling and RTR plastic models as demand dictates.

The Super7 will run on a B23-7 chassis. The modeling work is very good but there was a lot of striations on these prints. I really hope they work that out because these would be very, very good models otherwise.

There may be a C32-8 in the works as well.

Let's hope they do. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but the downward angle from the 2 grids behind the cab down to the rear hood looks too steept to me. Looks like it needs to go a little bit farther back.  I wonder if there any visual differences that Conrail made when they upgraded the MGA's B23-7R into the B30-7R? I've not noticed any looking at photos but I could have missed something. I've been hoping for a pair of MGA Super 7's for a while now. Just gotta be patient I guess.  Thanks

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
Let's hope they do. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but the downward angle from the 2 grids behind the cab down to the rear hood looks too steept to me. Looks like it needs to go a little bit farther back.  I wonder if there any visual differences that Conrail made when they upgraded the MGA's B23-7R into the B30-7R? I've not noticed any looking at photos but I could have missed something. I've been hoping for a pair of MGA Super 7's for a while now. Just gotta be patient I guess.  Thanks

This was a rough draft print and not a final sample. The transition slope should be the length of the door compartment (4 doors) and not the two on the model. I also noticed that the slope on the top of the rear hood is also too sharp - it should be contoured similar to the U/B series, but with sharper straight edges.

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 02:47:04 PM »
W00t!!!  If they release a C425/424 with the chassis modified for ESU Loksound then I have a pile of LL ones that will go

It would be nice for Atlas to add some underframe detailing and a correctly-contoured cab to the C424, since those were the biggest gripes I saw with the L-L C424. They already have the C628 and C630 cabs at their disposal, and hopefully it's not too hard or expensive to add underframe details to get rid of the "riding on stilts" look.

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 03:48:31 PM »
It would be nice for Atlas to add some underframe detailing and a correctly-contoured cab to the C424, since those were the biggest gripes I saw with the L-L C424. They already have the C628 and C630 cabs at their disposal, and hopefully it's not too hard or expensive to add underframe details to get rid of the "riding on stilts" look.

Since they are not up-grading the ex-Walthers tooling. I'd bet they won't up-grade the LL Canada stuff either!!!!

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 05:07:50 PM »
If Atlas acquired the TLT N scale tooling I hope they got the RS-10 and RS-18.

I'm pulling for the CP miniboxes - could definitely use a few of those.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
Has there been a show wide recap done anywhere?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
+1
Has there been a show wide recap done anywhere?

no...as usual the Railwire Continental scale thread drift took over and everyone is posting what they want instead of what was showing.   :D :D 8)   I'd love to see what everyone was showing, hopefully a thread will pop up. 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »
MTL - worst kept secret is finally out. Single window coaches feature full roof detail relief and 4 or 6 wheel trucks as per prototype. NYC, PRR out first.

Atlas - GP40-2W on display. Looks great. Features correct sized fuel tank. Talked to one of the reps a bit. Here are a few tid-bits:

1. They are using a different chassis for the GP40-2W than other GP series. They don't know if they can use it for the standard line GPs (they had not thought about it). Hey, just as long as they make the frame and tanks available as parts.

2. No intention to retool any Walthers rolling stock at this time. Ugh.

3. TLT/LL Canada sold a lot of tooling to Atlas recently. This includes the C424 and GP9 choppers. Maybe if IM dosen't get to building the GP10, these would work as a stand in? I asked if this included the newsprint cars, but they didn't know.

JL Innovative Design/Railway Express Miniatures - closing or selling business. get what you need now.

ESM - Bugged Bryan for more Conrail. As I always do. 36" wheels coming. They may do .553" axles (something I always need more of) but the .540" axles are selling so fast that they are focusing on those for the time-being.

Even if you find a CR GP10 rebuilt from a Phase 2 GP9 with dynamic brakes, calling the CP GP9 a "stand-in" is a bit of a stretch.

Right off the bat:
-Different handrails by the steps
-Different handrails on account of battery boxes that are or aren't present on an ICG rebuild vs CP rebuild
-Missing access door on the lowered short hood where ICG cut back battery boxes
-First engine room door lowered and top louver removed for for PAF
-Different numberboards
-CR units didn't have headlights on low short hood
Etc.

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
W00t!!!  If they release a C425/424 with the chassis modified for ESU Loksound then I have a pile of LL ones that will go

Life-Like only offered a Phase I C424 that was also painted as later phase C424's and C425's.

Additional phases (and C425's) would be nice to have, assuming Atlas is willing to spend the $ on them...

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »
The chopped GP9's are excellent locomotives from what I can remember (my fleet has been stored for years). I recall using one as a switcher on my old layout and it has no issue shoving 18 cars up a 2.2% helix, were good runners. The CN cab's windshield profile is unique to CN, so the CP unit would be best for a CR GP10, though the models only came with DB.

I have all the TLT paper boxes I'd ever need. So if Atlas bought them and did a few runs, I'd wind up having far more than I'd ever need. I went to some effort to lower, body mount, and BLMA truck them (that's 56 cars), so given the time, effort and cost, I bet they have the tooling.

If you fixed the door tracks, the odds of them being re-released will only go up...