Author Topic: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules  (Read 33258 times)

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
Re: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2020, 12:57:51 PM »
I love BL2’s, but they’re still fugly.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
Truth!

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
 Thanks @Ed Kapuscinski  for telling about this thread, not sure how I missed it. Some very nice work here. Did you ever get your Owings Mills shot you needed? I live nearby and am heading that way sometime in the next week. Reachout if you still need some shots and we can discuss locations.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
@CRL Better?  :D

Be nice if Atlas would run these with sound since they now own the molds.  I'm be in for two.
David B.

Member WMRHS

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2020, 09:41:53 PM »
+2
And there's at least one running they can get the sound from!  Nothing like being there!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »
Watching that BL-2 run bassackwards like that reminded me of the old jr high insult... If my dog was that ugly, I’d shave it’s a$$ and make it walk backwards!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2020, 10:17:04 PM »
I used some stuff I found on amazon. I did not try to color it at all. Time will tell if it actually won't yellow, but even if it does, it would probably look more accurate for the mine runoff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08233BV5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks good! Does it smell good too when curing?
Your autum trees are awesome; hard to do but you nailed it!
Otto K.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2020, 12:47:54 AM »
Watching that BL-2 run bassackwards like that reminded me of the old jr high insult... If my dog was that ugly, I’d shave it’s a$$ and make it walk backwards!

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't stick around long enough to shoot it heading back to Belington.  But as they say, a bad day chasing a BL-2 in revenue service in the 21st century is better than a good day doing just about anything else!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2020, 12:33:46 PM »
Thanks @Ed Kapuscinski  for telling about this thread, not sure how I missed it. Some very nice work here. Did you ever get your Owings Mills shot you needed? I live nearby and am heading that way sometime in the next week. Reachout if you still need some shots and we can discuss locations.

Awesome, thanks for the offer! If there were some way to get an idea for the lay of the land that would be really helpful. In my era, the Owings Mills Blvd bridge isn't there so there's not too much that can be done about that. I'm more interested in things on the opposite side of the station. I know the coal trestle is still there, shots of that would be helpful, but that's probably a big ask.

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the offer! If there were some way to get an idea for the lay of the land that would be really helpful. In my era, the Owings Mills Blvd bridge isn't there so there's not too much that can be done about that. I'm more interested in things on the opposite side of the station. I know the coal trestle is still there, shots of that would be helpful, but that's probably a big ask.

I'll check it out,  they rebuilt that coal trestle in the early 90s but sadly I think it has been taken out.  I see what I can get.
David B.

Member WMRHS

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2020, 03:59:34 PM »
I'll have to really do some digging, but I took rolls and rolls of film of that area in the late 80s.  The coal trestle was fully intact, the station was still standing, and the old alignment still crossed Reisterstown road as a siding to the old station, which served as lumber yard into the late 70s, IIRC.  There was the distiillery nearby, and the wicked cool steel trestle that was built "temporarily" to repair damage from Hurricane Agnes... almost 50 years ago!
I can't even begin to remember where to look for those prints...  I had scanned them at one point, but they died a horrible death in a hard drive crash...

But I'll see what I can find.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »
I'll have to really do some digging, but I took rolls and rolls of film of that area in the late 80s.  The coal trestle was fully intact, the station was still standing, and the old alignment still crossed Reisterstown road as a siding to the old station, which served as lumber yard into the late 70s, IIRC.  There was the distiillery nearby, and the wicked cool steel trestle that was built "temporarily" to repair damage from Hurricane Agnes... almost 50 years ago!
I can't even begin to remember where to look for those prints...  I had scanned them at one point, but they died a horrible death in a hard drive crash...

But I'll see what I can find.
Lee

Lee, I moved out of Owings Mills in 2017 and that area has really changed in just the last three years, let alone since the 80s.
David B.

Member WMRHS

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2020, 05:14:15 PM »
+3
The garden at the company house is now safe from foraging critters. This is one of the Woodland Scenics barbed wire fence kits. Really nice product, but a very fiddly project. Now I gotta add lots of undergrowth along the outside of the fence.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
+1
Filthy, filthy smut.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2020, 09:48:06 PM »
+2
A little work on the late Jim Cushon's kit of the Owings Mills station. This is only my second "craftsman" kit, so there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm really enjoying it. Hoping to have it finished before we head to the in-laws for the holidays. Hopefully the company house and the station will be enough to get me ready for the Hanover engine house!

Jim made some really great kits for WM modelers. I'm so grateful for the few that I picked up before he passed. I wish I'd been in a position to buy more of them.

Parts ready for paint

Gluing up the main structure

The instructions consist of four pictures and a few paragraphs explaining the color coding of the strip wood. This was funny at the time, now its really sad. I had maybe a half dozen FB messenger conversations with Jim, and he was always happy to talk about the Western Maryland, and a wealth of knowledge, wish I'd asked more questions.