Author Topic: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules  (Read 4329 times)

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +10
Re: The Western Maryland in Free-moN Modules
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
This is going to turn out great. I love the large radius curve and the mainline being the highest point on the module. It's not flat!
Don't know what I'm modeling today, won't know what I'm modeling tomorrow

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2048
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
If you were modeling Pennsylvania just a few miles away, that first shot at the highway would have been spot on. 
We bellyache about our taxes here in the Old Line State, but we do spend a lot of it on asphalt!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2765
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Ok, so where do you live again?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2048
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
Exactly.  And do you need me to build out Highfield or Detour?  (hint:  I have a copy of the Detour Mill from Jim Coshun.)
 :D
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 02:25:54 PM »
+1
Exactly.  And do you need me to build out Highfield or Detour?  (hint:  I have a copy of the Detour Mill from Jim Coshun.)
 :D

The answer is yes, dummy.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +1036
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »
Hoping Highfield appears on my next edition of the Hanover Sub

Excellent progress here !

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +390
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
+2
Scenery base is down on the entire module, and track crews were able to get ballast down as well!

While visiting my parents this weekend, I found a huge box of unused super trees in the basement! These have to be at least 10 years old, but they still appear to be in good shape. I should be set for trees for the next dozen modules or so! A big box of scenery goodies is on its way and will hopefully be here in time for the weekend, which is my last free weekend until April!

Finally, I whipped up some leaves in the blender. I want to experiment with using these not only as ground cover in some places, but also as flock on some of the super trees

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 09:32:44 AM »
Looks like tea leaves.  I've been drying used tea bags and saving the tea in empty foliage containers.  I mix it with other ground covers and create a custom forest floor ground cover.  Used on a few dead trees as well

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »
Looks like tea leaves.  I've been drying used tea bags and saving the tea in empty foliage containers.  I mix it with other ground covers and create a custom forest floor ground cover.  Used on a few dead trees as well

Thats a great idea! That would be nice to stretch what I've got, and vary the color. I'll have to intercept my wife before she throws out her teabags in the morning!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
We cold brew our own tea, and drink alot so they are readily available here, 7 at a time.  Probably make 5-7 a week 😁

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
+4
I've been making one or two trees every evening for the last few weeks, so I'm starting to build up a small stockpile. I won't need many for this module, but I'll need quite a few when I get on to Jack's Mountain.

Got a big box of goodies Monday that had to sit and taunt me every time I walked by. Had a few minutes to experiment with my homemade static grass setup. Experimented with a small patch next to one of the abundments Monday night.

Pleased with the results, I had a few hours this morning to dive into one side of the module. To some degree, I feel really lucky with everything so far, I'm always afraid that the next step is going to screw up all the previous work. This module has already reached a higher degree of completion than any of the layouts I've built in the past. I'll have more free time Sunday, I might actually COMPLETE this project this weekend!

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »
+6
I hope everyone is well! The Covid-19 work stoppage has taken quite a toll on my calendar. The two universities that I teach at have extended spring break and will be moving to online instruction for the foreseeable future. The three orchestras that I play with have collectively canceled concerts until the last week of April. The final blow was when the public schools shut down for the next 3 weeks, wiping out 20 billing hours a week of private lessons. I hope everyone is healthy, but man this is rough.

Anyway, with no distractions today, I'm calling Saballisville done! I may clean up a few things here and there, but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. I'll really have to spend some time learning how to take better pictures.

Given all the new found time, I've already moved on to Jack's Mountain. I laid the track a few weeks ago, but since I have the foam on hand, I went to work this afternoon. This module is going to pose some challenges. Photos of the portals are limited - if anyone has any please share! What I have found shows a lot of rock faces, which I've never modeled before, so I will be stretching my skill set. I'll be sticking to the fall 1952 time frame here as well.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:28 PM »
very nicely done

looking great!

sincerely
Gary

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »
I might be able to help out with Jacks mountain.  Please wait patiently :D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »
I think I asked before but... it'd be a shame if these never joined a big layout. Where are you located? I'd love to get a Freemo thing going in the area and this might be the impetus to kick everyone who's mentioned interest's butt into gear.