Author Topic: MTL single window coach looks like a winner  (Read 10865 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +911
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
Re: MTL single window coach looks like a winner
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 06:57:17 AM »
+1
Yes, I did get to fondle that model and (while I'm not expert on heavyweight cars, or their accuracy) it looked really good.  Same quality as the other MTL heavyweight cars.

The 4-wheel trucks are also new item. Those looked a bit featureless and the surface, but that is probably prototypical, and I also didn't care for their shiny black surface.  If MTL were to sandblast the mold to get a nice satin finish (or whatever needs to be done to get rid of the glossy finish), those trucks IMO would look much better. Actually that goes for all the MTL trucks which have very shiny finish. Before someone mentions it, painting the slipper plastic is not a good solution (paint will rub off rather easily).  Besides, it would be good not to have to do anything to them.

Has anyone tried air erasing a Micro-Trains truck for a similar effect?

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3191
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 08:15:40 AM »
Has anyone tried air erasing a Micro-Trains truck for a similar effect?

Was thinking same- if for no other reason than to have a surface for paint to adhere.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1103
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
Yes, I did get to fondle that model and (while I'm not expert on heavyweight cars, or their accuracy) it looked really good.  Same quality as the other MTL heavyweight cars.

The 4-wheel trucks are also new item. Those looked a bit featureless and the surface, but that is probably prototypical, and I also didn't care for their shiny black surface.  If MTL were to sandblast the mold to get a nice satin finish (or whatever needs to be done to get rid of the glossy finish), those trucks IMO would look much better. Actually that goes for all the MTL trucks which have very shiny finish. Before someone mentions it, painting the slipper plastic is not a good solution (paint will rub off rather easily).  Besides, it would be good not to have to do anything to them.

one of the first things I looked at was roughing up the surface of the trucks.  I even tried to produce them in styrene or ABS, but because of the detail and having pebbled or matte surfaces makes ejecting them impossible.  You can have a flat surface as long as it is at or near the horizontal plan of the shot...on the sides it causes it to stick.   Bead blasting afterwards is not economically feasible. 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1785
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
Woo hoo... SP&S #270 - #276, built in 1915, and survived into the early 1950s !  (actually went later than that, but some were modified, or turned into X-xxx cars.)  I could put 6-wheel trucks on the undec and reletter.   Or.. here's to hoping that Lowell Smith takes the ball and runs with these to make SP&S versions.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:19:43 PM by mmagliaro »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3191
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
one of the first things I looked at was roughing up the surface of the trucks.  I even tried to produce them in styrene or ABS, but because of the detail and having pebbled or matte surfaces makes ejecting them impossible.  You can have a flat surface as long as it is at or near the horizontal plan of the shot...on the sides it causes it to stick.   Bead blasting afterwards is not economically feasible.

@Shipsure , did you end up tooling two holes in each end for the 2 vs. 3 axle trucks?

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 01:55:44 PM »
This outfit sells a fountain pen in matte black Delrin: http://karaskustoms.com/signature-pens/decograph-delrin-black-std.html
Wonder if the plastic material is matte black or if the finish is the result of some operation after molding?

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »

That's why never say never, however for it to be correct you will need to model PRR Lines West between early 1960s and 1968, give or take until PC repainted the car.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »
That's why never say never, however for it to be correct you will need to model PRR Lines West between early 1960s and 1968, give or take until PC repainted the car.
Yes, but then, the time frame was determined by the lettering scheme.  It is to MT credit that they found a similar prototype for the car (or I assume 2 or more similar prototypes, as theirs is numbered 1301 and the photo is 1300). 

And I personally want to thank @Missaberoad  for posting that photo before I put my foot in my mouth with an "authoritative" statement that PRR never owned such a thing.  And I am hoping I never said there was no such thing as a PAIRED window NYC coach- because there were, actually, quite a few (even without counting converted parlor cars).

Does anyone know the history of these cars and how they came to be in PRR paint? 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UAXJQ
Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter
Clears to a dull flat surface in most conditions. Won't crack or rub off easily. Use it by itself, or as a base coat for further weathering.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
+1
I *think* 1300 is a former N&W car.

N&W PG Class, probably N&W #1650, which was sold to PRR January 28, 1964.

Need MTL to release the N&W PG schemes on this car (they have the info).  8)

Mark

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 07:12:22 PM »
+2
Yes, credit to MTL for finding a prototype photo on which to base their car.  In no way am I criticizing MTL regarding this car.  Only providing information so people can be informed.  Although this is not a foob, I completely support Thomas Kincade, Halloween, dead presidents, and other assorted foob cars as they support the company and allows them to provide the prototypically correct stuff we crave. 

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 08:55:56 PM »
This outfit sells a fountain pen in matte black Delrin: http://karaskustoms.com/signature-pens/decograph-delrin-black-std.html
Wonder if the plastic material is matte black or if the finish is the result of some operation after molding?

Pretty sure that’s machined from rod, rather than molded.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
Yes, credit to MTL for finding a prototype photo on which to base their car.  In no way am I criticizing MTL regarding this car.  Only providing information so people can be informed.  Although this is not a foob, I completely support Thomas Kincade, Halloween, dead presidents, and other assorted foob cars as they support the company and allows them to provide the prototypically correct stuff we crave.
Doug, I did not mean my previous comment to be critical of what you said, just wanted to point out that, given the late PRR paint scheme that MT has been using on several offerings recently.  I should have worded my comment better.

I've started using the term "representation" for situations like this PRR car where a manufacturer markets a car that is "close"- that is, the product is not an accurate model of the N&W/PRR prototype, but one where the manufacturer has used an accurate paint scheme on the closest available model in their product line.  As is the case of many of the MT cars, while not 100% accurate, it is likely only noticeable to a few people with relatively high degree of expertise on the cars of a particular railroad.  Anyway, most of the MT choices are a big step up from "foobies"- even when not 100% accurate.

For myself, I will use the car for Erie and L&N consists, and may even do one for Grand Trunk Western (in the early 50s, GTW bought several single window coaches from C&O)- which reminds me I need to search through my collection of Semaphores (the magazine) to find the article on those cars. 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4625
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »

Interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.  However I have observed many examples of N scale trucks (likely in multiple types of plastic) which have much duller looking surfaces than what MTL tricks look like.  Obviously I don't know how they accomplish that, but is seems to be quite possible.  They are not totally satin finish, but also not mirror-smooth like MTL trucks.  They are sort of in-between.  Anybody who owns models from several manufacturers can easily observe the difference in the glossiness.

Daniel, the adhesion promoter coating might help on POM plastic (Delrin, Celcon, etc.)  a bit, but I really don't see it being anywhere as good as sandblasting the surface before painting. POM is very, very slick.

As I understand, adhesion promoter is mainly used in the automotive industry for painting urethane body parts (bumpers and such).  In that application it really makes a difference.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8054
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »
+1
Grab the NYC instead of the Pennsy, since it’s prototypically accurate.

NEVER! lol This is a Pennsy household.