Author Topic: MTL single window coach looks like a winner  (Read 10848 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: MTL single window coach looks like a winner
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 03:52:56 PM »
This is why there has always been a single window coach hullabaloo. It is probably the single most abundant heavyweight car ever. Yet somehow is one of the last to be produced.

It would be like if N scale just now got it's first F7  :P

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7955
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
Just goes to show how little I know about passenger equipment, esp. anything pre-WW II. But the MTL car is still a looker; sadly I can't find a purpose for it on my nearly all-UP-in-1970 MRR.

MoW use brah, MoW use.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »
MoW use brah, MoW use.

Gotcha. Trying to visualize it in silver. However, at least a third of the windows would have to plated over. You know how that is.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »
Gotcha. Trying to visualize it in silver. However, at least a third of the windows would have to plated over. You know how that is.
Now you need to buy two.  One for the MoW consist, and one for the scene at the shops where the crew is welding plates over the windows.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
Haha, figures. I just grabbed the paired window car for my PC commuter train. Now I realized I should've waited!

Grab the NYC instead of the Pennsy, since it’s prototypically accurate.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 07:24:50 PM »
I am truely happy for those of you that are happy. :)  Although the PRR had many P70 variants, I don't think that any of them looked like the MTL single window coach.  All P70s were built as paired window coaches.  There were a few P70 betterment cars that had single windows (both smaller windows and picture windows) but those cars were somewhat different, some with round roofs, some with one vestibule.  There were so many variations that I hesitate to say never, but it is not a likely match for a PRR car.  PC maybe.  Also, I do not know of any PRR coaches that rode on three axle trucks.  But I am happy you're happy.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
New Haven had cars in the series with both truck styles, which makes things easier from that standpoint. The trucks on the model are interchangeable, and it stands to reason that the new four-wheel truck will be available separately, so any “mis-equipped” releases can be modified easily.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »
I am truely happy for those of you that are happy. :)  Although the PRR had many P70 variants, I don't think that any of them looked like the MTL single window coach.  All P70s were built as paired window coaches.  There were a few P70 betterment cars that had single windows (both smaller windows and picture windows) but those cars were somewhat different, some with round roofs, some with one vestibule.  There were so many variations that I hesitate to say never, but it is not a likely match for a PRR car.  PC maybe.  Also, I do not know of any PRR coaches that rode on three axle trucks.  But I am happy you're happy.

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
+1
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 08:30:31 PM »
What about 1301?  :trollface:

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
I *think* 1300 is a former N&W car.

Aye, that it is!

But still, MT got it right, EX-N&W or not!

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 08:59:46 PM »
The for the info about the trucks bbussey!

Looks like a need a couple painted undecorated ones to decal up for Missouri Pacific Lines.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 11:17:30 PM »
Had the opportunity to see samples of the Micro-Trains single window coach last night, as did @peteski.  Looks very very good. The February releases on the model will be NYC (four-wheel truck) and 1960s PRR (six-wheel truck), both of which will be on display today. Four-side tooling on the roof.  New Haven McGinnis within the next couple of months.

Yes, I did get to fondle that model and (while I'm not expert on heavyweight cars, or their accuracy) it looked really good.  Same quality as the other MTL heavyweight cars.

The 4-wheel trucks are also new item. Those looked a bit featureless and the surface, but that is probably prototypical, and I also didn't care for their shiny black surface.  If MTL were to sandblast the mold to get a nice satin finish (or whatever needs to be done to get rid of the glossy finish), those trucks IMO would look much better. Actually that goes for all the MTL trucks which have very shiny finish. Before someone mentions it, painting the slipper plastic is not a good solution (paint will rub off rather easily).  Besides, it would be good not to have to do anything to them.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 03:09:57 AM »
Somebody have to show me a pic of a single-window PRR P70FBR for me to believe they existed.
Not that it matters anyway --- I'm now into NH so I'll be (sigh) decaling the Pullman green undec Atlas coaches since the McGinnis scheme always seems to be the first NH paint scheme they offer in any car type.
Boy, I wish I could tell Atlas to make cars in the paint scheme I'd like first.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 04:23:30 AM »
So you have to paint them green and decal "NEW HAVEN" down the side? That is not much harder than decaling "ERIE" down the side. Should be about the simplest paint job ever.

Even though they did Erie baggage cars I will still be re-decaling then as well. They used a imitation gold color instead of yellow.