Author Topic: Inspection on the Fly. No More Car Knockers.  (Read 1176 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Inspection on the Fly. No More Car Knockers.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
+1
I wonder if we could get CSX to post the images to rrpicutures :)

kind of looks like a toll booth on the Jersey Turnpike ..

Interesting structure to add to a layout .. should be easy to build

if you could add high speed NDI testing to couplers and wheels, then you would have a real total solution

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 07:40:10 PM »
Is the algorithm set up to look for train hoppers ???

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1072
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »
Is the algorithm set up to look for train hoppers ???

Certainly add a bit of excitement to their day. Looks like the cameras cover the usual hiding spots.
-Al

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:20:35 PM »
Add hoses like a wash rack and you take care of two problems at once.
- Christian J. Davis

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery

aikorob

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
They have a smaller version on the north entrance of the intermodal yard in Fairburn, GA---I figured it was a last check on car\container IDs

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
+1
The idea is good but it puts the inspection of the train in the wrong place.  Car men doing inspections in the yard find problems before the train leaves the yard and the problem car or cars can either be repaired or set-out.  NDI testing of wheels can and is done on the fly.  On the Portland sub we have a detector that uses ultrasound for the detection of wheel cracks, unfortunately, when active, it hits about every fifth train that goes by it.  If there was a way to check knuckles for cracks on the fly, not a single train would get past the detector.  In fifteen years of railroading I've been hit by detectors dozens of time and never once did we find anything wrong with the train.  Every time I've had an actual issue with a train, it's been caught by a roll-by inspection from another train after having gone over numerous detectors without issue.

Scott 
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3087
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 02:31:57 PM »
The idea is good but it puts the inspection of the train in the wrong place.  Car men doing inspections in the yard find problems before the train leaves the yard and the problem car or cars can either be repaired or set-out.  NDI testing of wheels can and is done on the fly.  On the Portland sub we have a detector that uses ultrasound for the detection of wheel cracks, unfortunately, when active, it hits about every fifth train that goes by it.  If there was a way to check knuckles for cracks on the fly, not a single train would get past the detector.  In fifteen years of railroading I've been hit by detectors dozens of time and never once did we find anything wrong with the train.  Every time I've had an actual issue with a train, it's been caught by a roll-by inspection from another train after having gone over numerous detectors without issue.

Scott

Just another example of no matter how hard they try, nothing is better than the human eye