Author Topic: Replacing broken stirrups on N scale freight cars  (Read 1588 times)

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +206
Replacing broken stirrups on N scale freight cars
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:15:23 PM »
I have about 5 or 6 N scale freight cars with one or more broken stirrups. The broken off
stirrups are long gone so gluing them back on is a non-option.

I did a Google search, and every result came back for HO scale. When I filtered out
HO from the search, I found basically nothing.

I searched here too, and while there were a number of results, they were threads where
someone said they replaced broken stirrups, not HOW.

What I am looking for is either a source for buying N scale stirrups, or DIY methods which
don't involve a 3D printer.

Thanks in advance.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Replacing broken stirrups on N scale freight cars
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
BLMA used to make a stirrup set  in etched metal that hasn't (so far) shown up as an Atlas set.

Tallmatt

• Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
+1
Source some suitable brass strip, even wire that you then flatten in a vice will do.

I shaped a piece of steel bar (timber would also work) to the shape I required, to create a form tool. Remembering to allow for a degree of spring back in the brass I then wrapped around it.

The brass staple I have now formed is melted into the underside of the car with a soldering iron.

I do tend to use a wipe of gun blue before painting so any chip doesn't expose glaring raw metal.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
+1
Gold Medal offers several types of stirrups on their boxcar and hopper etched sets :

https://www.nscalesupply.com/Gmm/Gmm-Details.html

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +985
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »
+1
Some kits I bought (RI boxcars from Rocket Express) come with stirrups that are cut off from Microtrains spare parts stirrups.  The MT stirrups come attached to a strip of plastic that fits in MT underframes.  The strip was cut away, leaving just a small bit of the plastic strip to provide something to glue to the carbody.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 10:52:50 PM »
I second Gold Metal Models.  Still readily available if you know what you're looking for.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +197
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:55:21 AM »
BLMA used to make a stirrup set  in etched metal that hasn't (so far) shown up as an Atlas set.

Has anything from BLMA  shown up at Atlas ?   Why did Atlas buy out Craig's company if they are not going to product?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack .. it is a sore point in my modeling endeavors  .. now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

eja

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:05:09 AM »

Has anything from BLMA  shown up at Atlas ?   Why did Atlas buy out Craig's company if they are not going to product?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack .. it is a sore point in my modeling endeavors  .. now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

eja

With regards to BLMA's detail parts line, they stock several items....

https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1405-blma-n-parts.aspx

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
My suggestions were both already taken. I use either the GMM stirrups or the MT ones with the center connecting piece cut out and just a drop of superglue. Both work equally well (but the MT doesn't require a paint touch up on most cars).
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »

eja

Most if not all of the RTR cars have been reissued. I’m not sure what percentage of the detail parts have been rereleased, but they’re not totally neglected.

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
I have used all of those described above. My preferred is Gold Medal Models stirrups. If the thickness of the shell allows, I drill 2 holes up into it (carefully) from the bottom with a #80 bit. Insert  the stirrups using a little CA to secure. If the shell is too thin to drill up into, I epoxy them to the inside of the inside of the shell. Once the epoxy dries, you might have to sand down the epoxy “blob” so you can insert the underbody. The stirrups are pretty durable and can be adjusted by bending if needed.

I often cut off the molded, over sized stirrups on cars and replace them, since the GMM ones look so much finer (and are more durable). I think I have had to do this on all my InterMountain cars and Red Caboose X29s. I have also done it on several Atlas  Trainman Double door boxcars (among other things) to improve the appearance.

Tom L
Wellington CO

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
+2
It depends on your goals.
The etched brass stirrups from GMM look beautiful, but they are more fragile than the MT delrin plastic ones, which can really take a beating without breaking off.
Personally, if I were repairing existing broken stirrups, I would use the MT parts because of the durability and because they are likely to be at least as fine-scale as the ones that break off of molder plastic car bodies.  You can flat-file a notch into the underframe of your car so accept the MT part as-is, with the flat beam across the floor connecting the two stirrups.  Glue it with some Walthers Goo.  Don't use ACC or epoxy.  The MT parts are delrin plastic and nothing adheres to delrin very well, except Goo.  Goo will also give the joint some flexibility, further adding to the longevity of the stirrups.