Author Topic: cars gone missing  (Read 553 times)

mrp

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
cars gone missing
« on: January 13, 2020, 06:45:21 AM »
I noticed that Rapido trains is offering a model of the old ACF flexi flo covered hopper.
Ad at https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-acf-flexi-flo
These were made many years ago by AHM I think, and offered by Eastern Seaboard in various pretty good paint schemes.
Does anyone know what happened to the molds for N scale version?
I know the molds are not up to current standards, but the ESMC painted ones still look OK to my eye.

In a similar vein, Railyard Models offed a kit for an N scale coil car, I think PRR prototype.
The last I heard the molds were bought by Eastern Seaboard, but the molds seem to have gone missing.
Does anyone know their fate?

Michael Pennie

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:18:34 AM by GaryHinshaw »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +294
Re: cars gone missing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »
According to the ESMC website, the Flexi-Flo models were made by Roco and ESMC discontinued their part of the line in 2010.
http://www.esmc.com/1100/Item1101.html

But my guess would be the expert on who owns the tooling (or at least whether ESMC ever owned the tooling) would be @bbussey
Tom D.

"The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that doing the impossible is usually more fun." (my college design professor Russell Whaley)

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +809
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
+2
Here is the Railyards Models N scale PRR G41a resin kit.  No idea about the molds, but this was a well-done kit.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1219
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
+2
AHM/Roco tooled the 3500pd fifty years ago. The tooling was pulled out of retirement and pressure tested back when we commissioned them to mold a batch in the 1990s. The tooling was on its last legs back then. Most likely, the tooling has been destroyed by now. Rapido’s model is HO, the first 3500pd in that scale as far as I know.

Regarding the coil car, we did acquire the molds from Railyard Models. They need some repair and some upgrades, to the point where it may be cost prohibitive to bring it back. But we will see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:46:44 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net